Silenced

A few seconds after Malhotra leaves, I find myself at the edge of the lake, staring down at my reflection. Almost as if she has witnessed all that has just transpired, Mother Nature sends some breeze my way, causing my reflection to blur amongst the ripples. It's unfortunate how like this helpless water, I let Malhotra enter my life and imbalance me, without much effort on his end. How could I be so weak? All my life, I've fought to prove my strength, and a few kind words from a vile man had the power to knock me down. Frustrated, I tug at the roots of my hair. Truth be told, I am to blame. This is all my doing. Unable to support me anymore, my knees give way, as I lower myself onto the ground. 

Like a sneaky thief, I watch a lone tear roll down my cheek. Frowning, I wipe it away with my fingers and then raise them in front of my face. Disoriented, I stare at the wet droplet. Unblinking, I continue to eye the tear, almost as if it were made of blood. It's just water, I tell myself. Then why does it burn like a droplet of fire? I take in a sharp breath as I realise that I'm crying. When is the last time that I cried, especially for the wounds that another has inflicted upon me? Scoffing, I rub the wet pads of my fingers together. Oh for Lord's sake, I cannot be wasting tears on that bastard.

The unfortunate truth of the matter, however, is that I am as helpless in my current situation as I was in halting this tear from slipping out of my eye. Bringing my knees up to my chest, I place my chin on them and stare out at the still water. The first man that I trusted, and felt even an ounce of emotion for, is the one who has, mercilessly, pierced my heart with a branding knife. In fact, he does not even feel an ounce of remorse for doing so. How in the world could I be so foolish?

"Silly girl," Malhotra's words hammer into my head. As much as I hate to admit it, however, he is not wrong. 

"Your Highness," Celeste says from behind me. "I've come to tell you that we will be setting off shortly."

"How do I know if I'm heartbroken?" I find myself asking her.

"Pardon, Your Highness?" Celeste stutters, clearly taken aback by my utterly random query.

"Do you know?" I ask, glancing at her over my shoulder.

"I-I don't know, Your Highness," Celeste replies. "It doesn't shatter quite like glass, which is generally easier to detect because of the sound it makes." Frowning hard, Celeste forces herself to find an answer for my question. "Your Highness, you can't see it, you see. So it's hard to tell."

"It's intangible," I agree. "Perhaps if it did make a sound it would make less of an impact."

"Is everything alright, Your Highness?" I can tell that it took Celeste a great amount of effort to ask this question. Smiling, I nod my head at her.

"Warriors may rest for a while on the battlefield, Celeste. However, we never quit," I reply. Truth be told, my words aren't arrows shot in the dark. On the contrary, I am saying them with utter conviction. I'm not denying the fact that I'm wounded. However, this isn't the first time that this has happened. In the past, I've always stood tall with external injuries, and this time around it's an internal one, and that's the only difference.

"Celeste, before we depart, I wish to change into my black riding gear." I state, squaring my shoulders. A gasp escapes her lips, as she eyes my wedding dress.

"Y-Your Highness, do forgive me, but isn't that considered to bring bad luck?" She asks, casting her gaze towards the ground.

"Please do as I say," I instruct in a firm tone.

"Yes, Your Highness." Bowing, Celeste begins to walk backwards. "I'll retrieve your outfit at once, and arrange for a makeshift screen to be put up." I nod my head at her, as she turns around and hurriedly heads back towards the entourage.

Malhotra has done what he had to do. Unfortunately, I cannot change the past. However, my actions will now dictate the future, and not his. As far as I can see, there are two options laid out for me: Either I accept my defeat, and let Malhotra claim this war, or prove to him just how mistaken he really is. After all, winning a battle doesn't give him the right to declare himself victorious in the entire war. Once again, I cast my gaze towards the water and stare down at my own reflection. Just like how this water restores itself after a handful of ripples, I shall heal as well. I mean, I most certainly wasn't in love with Malhotra, so all that he's managed to do is break my trust, and fool me once. I'm sure it's not that hard to recover from a temporarily injured heart.

*****

"What're you doing?" Malhotra asks from behind me. My jaw clenches, as I tighten my hold around the reins of my ride.

"So first I learn that you don't have a heart, and now you lack a pair of eyes as well." I comment, refusing to turn around and face my enemy. "Good to know," I murmur, patting my horse.

"You're not going to run." Malhotra growls, grabbing my wrist and swivelling me around into his chest.

"I am no coward, Malhotra." I spit through gritted teeth, as I struggle to release his hold from around me. "I am not you. Only a poor excuse of a man, like yourself, seeks the wrong path when he can't acquire something rightfully. I attack from the front, and not the back, like some people." With a harsh jerk, I yank my wrist free from Malhotra's death grip.

Sighing, Malhotra takes a step away from me, folding his arms in front of his chest.

"How can I trust you not to turn your ride around, and escape back to your lands?" Malhotra questions, cocking his eyebrow at me.

"I'm sure you're used to making a fool out of people." I say, disgusted at the mere sight of the man in front of me. "I know that it's your hobby and you do this on a daily basis. However, don't confuse me for yourself. I know how to fight with dignity."

"Actually, this was my first time, and you, Princess, made it quite easy for me." Malhotra replies, smirking.

"You're right," I announce, nodding my head in agreement to his words. "I fell for you; your charm, your words, and you as a whole. Yes, I most certainly didn't begin to love you. However, I did start to like you as more than a friend; I began wanting more from our friendship." Furrowing his brow, Malhotra stares at me, utterly confused at my words. "I'm just like all the other girls out there. I, too, fell for you. But you know what, Malhotra? I've come to realise that's not such a bad thing. What's so wrong in learning to love and wanting to receive it in return?"

Shrugging my shoulders, I raise my eyebrows at him.

"I don't regret whatever I began to feel for you - as a friend, or something more - and neither will I deny those emotions." I continue. "On the contrary, I feel bad for you because you are undeserving of all that love and trust. You'll never be able to understand its worth. A man like you, who has been cursed with being devoid of this very pious emotion cannot fathom its value and neither do you deserve it." For the briefest of seconds, I genuinely pity Malhotra. "You're living a curse, Malhotra. Sadly, however, you fail to realise this yourself."

Malhotra's face falls for the briefest of seconds, before he begins to offer me a few slow claps, as he steps towards me.

"That was quite the lecture, Nandini." He says, reaching out to touch my hair. Repulsed, I jerk my head away from him, splaying my palm across his chest.

"Even my name sounds vile when it falls from your lips." I say in a low tone, as I push Malhotra away from me. "So I suggest you refrain from saying it, for I feel insulted whenever you do." Tugging at the hem of his coat, Malhotra heads past me without uttering another word. Who would've thought? I've silenced him for once.