Questionable Behaviour

"Malhotra, please do not forget to tell your guards that these boxes must be treated with great care." I say, hugging yet another handful of books to my chest. Truth be told, if any belongings in this palace are precious to me - which I cannot bear leaving behind - then they are my novels. They have been the best of friends for me in both, the good and the bad times. Not only that, but the words on these pages gave me an escape when I most needed it. One thing's for sure, my life won't be a fairytale, which ends in a happily ever after. However, at least I can live out such moments and stories through the ink on these pages, and for me that's more than enough.

"Sure, whatever, Princess." Malhotra replies, his voice far off. Yesterday evening I did not get the chance to converse with Malhotra, once he returned with his friend. Unlike the rest of our meetings, not only was Malhotra late for our scheduled picnic, but he entirely forgot about it as well. In all honesty, however, I don't blame him. After all, I'm sure he and his friend had a lot to catch up on. However, today, even though Malhotra is physically present with me in this library, he's mentally in another world altogether.

"What're you doing?" I ask, as I close the lid on the last chest of books that I've packed to take along with me. Although I've asked him this, an answer is not required for me to locate Malhotra. Judging by the source of his voice, I can bet my life that he's in the alcove. Upon not getting a reply, I begin to make my way towards Malhotra. Sure enough, I find him bent over the spread out maps, his eyes solely focused on scanning each and every inch of them.

"What're you doing?" I repeat, as I near Malhotra's side. Instinctively, I wish to tell my friend to back off. However, this time around that's not an option. After all, tomorrow this will be his kingdom as well, and so Malhotra has all the rights in the world to access this alcove.

"Learning up on my new kingdom." He says, his eyes not leaving the maps for even a second. Truth be told, I doubt Malhotra's so much as blinking.

"Clearly you aren't a procrastinator." I comment, watching Malhotra. However, he's clearly more interested in the official matters of the kingdom than in me, and my company. Biting down on my lip, I tilt my head to the side ever so slightly, as a cyclone of questions wages a war in my head. "Can I ask you something, Malhotra?" I question hesitantly. If only he knew how difficult this issue is for me to address because over the years I've learnt that some topics are best steered clear of.

"Hmm," Malhotra murmurs.

"Is everything alright between us?" At once, Malhotra's head jerks in my direction. Startled, I take a step back. "Wow, I finally have your attention." Smiling at Malhotra, I search his eyes for an answer. For some reason, my gut instinct has been yelling at me that something's awry, and it's high time I get my answer.

"Of course, Princess," Malhotra exclaims, grinning at me. "Why would you think otherwise?" Shrugging my shoulders, I glance down at my feet.

"I don't know, Malhotra," I say truthfully. I mean, if I could've pinpointed the issue, then I most certainly wouldn't be standing here, asking him such a question. "You're sure, right?" I ask once again, just for the sake of myself. Meeting Malhotra's gaze, I seek reassurance from him.

"Most certainly, Princess." Taking a step towards me, Malhotra snakes his arms around my waist, pulling me up against his front. A gasp escapes my lips, his actions taking me by surprise.

"What're you doing?" I ask, frowning. On instinct, my hands land on Malhotra's shoulders; ready to push him back at a moment's notice.

"What I couldn't do with a friend." Malhotra murmurs, as his gaze languidly travels towards my lips. "But I can with my wife-to-be." Smirking, he tightens his grip around me. On their own volition, my eyes find his lips as well, as he breathes mere inches away from mine. "You can tell me to stop, Princess." Malhotra's husky tone causes my stomach to plummet into a riot of somersaults. Instead of pushing him away, my hands relax against Malhotra's shoulders. Lord, if I allow him to bear such great power over me, then the spark that I once felt in his presence will soon erupt into a full fledged bonfire. Shutting my eyes, I lean into Malhotra's hold.

"I-I need to go." He says, as he removes his arms from around me. Almost as if a switch has clicked inside me, my eyes fly open and I watch as Malhotra steps away from me. "I-I can't do this," he murmurs, turning around and making a beeline for the library door.

"Be careful!" I exclaim, as Malhotra's foot bangs against a chest, causing him to stumble forwards. However, this hurdle doesn't seem to have affected Malhotra, for he exits without so much as stopping for a second. Frowning, I stay in place. Did I do something wrong? I doubt I could've, considering all I did was stand in front of Malhotra, and put my blind faith in his hands. Lord, this man is making me question my own sanity!