The moment I knew

Hey guys! This one shot is inspired by the song "The moment I knew (Taylor's Version)" by Taylor Swift.

Her songs just make amazing ideas for one shots.

Hope everyone is staying safe!

Enjoy!

~Sofia💛

————————

~Your POV~

I kept glancing at the door.

Where is he?

His friends are here but he isn't. He said he would be here. Why isn't he here?

Maybe he's just stuck in traffic.

"Hey, (y/n)!" (B/f/n) beamed, sitting beside me. I looked at her and forced a smile. "Happy birthday!" She handed me a little box from a jewelry store. "I hope you like it." I took it from her and said thank you. "Open it."

"Okay, okay, I will." I told her and opened the box.

Inside it was a beautiful gold bracelet with star charms around it. It was so pretty. I smiled a little.

"Do you like it?" She asked expectantly.

"I love it. Thank you so much." I said and closed the box. "I'll wear it soon." She smiled and nodded.

"How've you been? It's been awhile since we talked."

"I've been alright."

"Isn't (c/n) supposed to be here by now? Is he okay?" She asked. I shrugged.

(C/n).

"He's okay. He's probably just stuck in traffic." I answered. "He should be here soon." She nodded and we talked for awhile.

Hours pass by. I keep my eye on the door, hoping he would show. But he wasn't. Why is he taking so long?

More people come and ask me how I've been. I give the same answer- I've been doing okay. They ask me about him. I give the same answer- He's okay.

At this point I just want to be alone. (B/f/n) went off to talk to someone else, leaving me alone.

"Hey (y/n)." (C/b/f/n) said. "Are you alright? You look upset." I look at him and sigh.

"I need to go." I said and stood up. I run upstairs, down the hallway and into the bathroom.

(C/b/f/n) and another one of his friends follow me. I try not to cry. I take a deep breath to try and calm myself down.

They always seem to know when there is something wrong.

How is he not here? Why isn't he here?

Do I mean that little to him?

"What's wrong, (y/n)?" His other friend asked. The sinking feeling starts. Tears burn me eyes. I shook my head and bit my lip.

"He said he'd be here." I said helplessly. "He promised me..." I wiped away the tear that rolled down my cheek. "He promised..."

"(Y/n), no, don't cry." (C/b/f/n) cooed. "Dude, call (c/n)." He told his other friend.

"I will." He said and walked away to call him.

"I was waiting for him to show up. My birthday isn't complete without him." I sobbed. I felt a pair of arms wrap around me. I sobbed into his shoulder. "I just want him here."

What are you supposed to do when the one you love doesn't show up?

What are you supposed to say when tears are streaming down your face?

I stand there with his arms around me for awhile. He doesn't say anything while I cry. He rubs comforting circles on my back.

I was slowly calming down. Maybe he'll be here later.

"Well? Did the jerk say anything?" (C/b/f/n) asked his other friend.

"It took him almost thirty minutes to even pick up!" He groaned. "He said he can't make it. He didn't tell me why." I sighed.

"(Y/n)! We're gonna have cake now!" (B/f/n) yelled from down the hall. "Where are you?"

"She's in here." (C/b/f/n) said. She walked down the hall and gasps when she sees me.

"Was she crying?" She asked. (C/b/f/n) nodded. "How hurt her? I'm gonna kill whoever did." I pulled away to answer her.

"(C/n)... He can't make it and he didn't tell me." I answered. She shook her head in disappointment. "He had to call him to get an answer."

"After this party, I'm going to his place and you best bet I'm gonna give him a lesson he'll never forget." She said through clenched teeth.

"I'll be down in a few minutes. Just let me freshen up, okay?"

They nodded and went downstairs. I sighed and went to throw some water in my face.

I fixed my makeup and my red lipstick before going downstairs. When I showed, everyone was happy to see me.

(B/f/n) and his friends looked worried. I forced a smile.

They were all standing around me, singing "Happy birthday to you."

But there was something missing.

It was him. He was missing. The one person I wanted the most to show up wasn't here.

I blew out the candles and ate some cake. The party slowly starts dying down until no one was left.

I walk up to my room and remove my makeup. I take a shower and change into something more comfortable before going to bed.

He calls. I pick up.

"(Y/n)." He said softly.

"Where were you?" I asked him. My voice a mix of anger and sadness. "You should've burst through the door, smiling. You should've said baby, I'm right here. But you weren't here!"

"I'm sorry, I didn't make it, love." He replied.

"And you didn't care to tell me the second you realized you couldn't make it?" I snapped at him. "Your friend really had to call you to get an answer for me? I can't believe you."

"I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too." I said. "I'm sorry you didn't care enough to tell me first. I had to have your friend call you to get an answer. Unbelievable."

He was silent.

"You should've been here." I choked out. "I would've been so happy. But no." I scoffed. "So much for a happy birthday, huh?"

"I'm sorry. I'll try to make it up to you, I promise. I'll do anything, (y/n)."

"Do you really care that little of me? You didn't bother to tell me?"

"I'm so sorry."

"I'm sorry too." I said. That was the moment I knew.

He doesn't care enough.

"I have to go. Good luck trying to make it up to me." I said and hung up before he could say anything.