Chapter 43

The moon hung high in the sky as the cast and crew of Serendipity worked through the night. Night shoots had become regular occurrences in the last week and a half since they had returned from Miami, and Lauren couldn't suppress the jaw-popping yawn that belied her exhaustion. Sixteen-hour days were one thing when they were during the day, but they became so much more painful when they were done at night because the body's natural circadian rhythm was thrown off by the lack of sunlight. All she really wanted was to sleep – to curl up somewhere with Camila and forget the world, but the brunette was off shooting a scene by herself and she had nobody to cuddle with.

"Fucking night shoots," she muttered, pulling a blanket up over her shoulders as she snuggled deeper into the sofa in the trailer. She yawned again as she closed her eyes and the gentle, soothing waves of sleep were just beginning to lap at her consciousness when her phone rang. She reached blindly for the device and held it up to her ear. "Jauregui."

"SHE SAID YES!!!!" Normani screamed in her ear.

She grinned happily in spite of her exhaustion. Normani and Dinah were still in Maui, the couple had only two days left on their trip, and she'd been expecting the phone call long before now. "Congratulations, Mani. What took you so long to ask?"

"Just... waiting for the perfect moment," Normani said, her smile evident in her tone.

"Mmm," Lauren hummed through another yawn. "Did she like the ring?"

"Of course."

Lauren smiled and nodded. "Good. So, do you two have a date?"

"She wanted to get married now, but I talked her out of it because none of our families are here. So, probably in a couple of weeks or something. I wanna do it before I pass the bar and have to start pulling eighty-hour weeks at the firm."

Lauren ran a hand through her hair and sighed. "You do realize that it's nearly impossible to put together a wedding that quickly, right?"

"No shit, Sherlock," Normani chuckled. "But we don't want a big wedding. Something small will work fine for us – we'll leave the fairytale to you and Cabello. So... I'm thinking an intimate little ceremony up in Santa Barbara somewhere, maybe do a reception at a restaurant up there."

"That sounds lovely, actually," Lauren murmured, looking up as the door to the trailer she and Camila were sharing opened. She pressed the phone into her shoulder to muffle her words and smiled at her lover. "Hey you. Guess who got engaged tonight?"

"Normani did it?!" Camila squealed excitedly, looking entirely too awake for three in the morning. She hurried across the trailer and grabbed the phone out of Lauren's hand. "You got engaged?!"

"I did," Normani said, laughing. "And, damn, Cabello – turn down the fucking volume already. Now, could you please give the phone back to your better half so I can ask her to be my maid of honor?"

"Oh, yeah, of course!" Camila said, smiling. "Just... congratulations. Really. I'm so happy for you guys."

"Thanks, Camila," Normani said sincerely, her voice soft and warm.

Camila smiled and handed the phone back to Lauren. "She wishes to speak to you."

Lauren chuckled. "What's up?"

"Will you be my maid of honor and, you know, stand with me when I get married and all that shit?"

"Of course," Lauren answered, smiling as she pulled Camila down onto the couch with her. "Just get us the date and everything and we'll be there. You're not going to make me wear some fucking hideous dress, are you?"