Chapter 47

The sun was just beginning to inch toward the horizon as they all made their way back to the hotel. Everybody had decided to wander the zoo and feed the giraffes, and really just enjoy the beautiful weather. Normani hadn't been kidding about their tongues, they were insanely long – 18 to 20 inches, according to the zookeeper manning the feeding deck – and the things that they could do with them were incredibly indecent. Camila actually felt like a pervert watching Normani hover the little Milk-Bone cookie thing out of the animal's reach just so that she could really see its tongue and the way that it wrapped that tongue around the biscuit. Of course, the highlight of the afternoon – as if pornographic giraffe tongues weren't exciting enough – was that zookeeper who was doing a demonstration/lesson at the penguin exhibit (Dinah had adorably requested that they stop by again on their way out so that she could say goodbye to them) recognized Lauren and Camila, and she gave the group a behind-the-scenes tour of the penguin exhibit because Dinah was so enamored with the little guys.

All-in-all, it had been an absolutely picture-perfect afternoon, Camila thought, as she strolled arm-in-arm with Lauren. The couple was walking behind Normani and Dinah, who were flanked by their mothers, the daughters listening with only half an ear as they played with each other's fingers and their mothers raved about how beautiful the wedding the next day was going to be.

She knew, when her day came, that her dads would be just as excited as the Hamiltons and Hansens obviously were, and she couldn't help but be upset that Lauren wouldn't have that. Sure, Normani and Dinah would undoubtedly be there, and Zayn, and hopefully Nicole, but to not have your parents at your own wedding... she shook her head. That would be rough.

"Earth to Camila," Lauren murmured, smiling as she brushed a soft kiss across the shell of the brunette's ear. "Where did you go right now?"

Camila smiled and bit her lip as she leaned her head on Lauren's shoulder. "Just... thinking. Did I miss anything?"

"No," Lauren assured her, sighing as she pulled the brunette in closer. "What were you thinking about?"

"Mmm, just me and you," Camila answered honestly but vaguely. She knew that Lauren felt they needed to wait longer before they got engaged, and she was fine going at Lauren's pace, so she didn't want to make her feel pressured by telling her that she was thinking about what things will be like when it's their turn to get married.

The wistful look on Camila's face didn't escape Lauren's attention and she instantly knew what the brunette had been thinking about in regards to the two of them. She also knew that even if she did want to speed up her internal timeline for when things would happen for them, that she needed to sit down and have a real conversation with Hiram and Leroy before she could do anything else.

At least they're coming into town next weekend, the little voice in the back of her head whispered conspiratorially. Yeah, but it's still only been two months, her louder, more persistent voice of reason answered.

Camila's giggle pulled her from her thoughts and she smiled sheepishly as she looked into twinkling brown eyes. "Hmm?"

"Now where did you go?" the brunette teased.

Lauren smiled and blushed, biting her lip as she ducked her head. "Just thinking."

"About..." Camila led, rather enjoying the way their conversation had shifted.

"You and me," Lauren replied softly, looking up at the brunette through her hair. Goddamn, she really is beautiful, she thought to herself as a goofy, happy smile tweaked Camila's lips.

"You're a dork," Camila chortled, bumping Lauren with her hip.

Lauren laughed and bumped the brunette back. "But I'm your dork, Camz."