Chapter 67

*******

Hey guys, sorry for the delay but I had a couple of rough days with my dog and after that I had to relax a bit. Updates should be back to normal now😊

*******

"I knew you would eventually be leaving LA, but it still sucks," Normani grumbled as she dropped onto the sofa in Lauren's living room. She glanced over at Lauren as she reached for the open bottle of wine on the coffee table and poured herself a supersized glass. "You have no idea how badly I need this," she muttered as she leaned back on the couch and lifted the glass to her lips. "I've been pulling 80-hour weeks and I don't even have my goddamn bar exam results back yet."

Lauren smiled and turned on the sofa to look at her old friend. It was after nine o'clock on Saturday, Gavin had left with his notes and pictures and a promise to send Jack a preview about four hours earlier, and she and Camila had spent the rest of the evening sitting up on the deck just enjoying one of their last worry-free nights together before things got busy again. "Where's Dinah?"

"Work. Where's Cabello?"

"Upstairs," Lauren said, rolling her eyes at Normsni's continued insistence on using the last name for her fiancée. "She wanted to call her dads and tell them about the play before Gavin's article came out."

"I'm surprised she waited so long to tell them."

"Well, she only called her agent back yesterday and told him that she would do it, we were on set until two this morning, and then Gavin came over for that interview this afternoon, so..."

"You do realize that you pretty much made his career, right?" Normani asked.

Lauren shrugged. "Yeah, well, he saved my ass last year by pulling Johnston off of me outside Howl, so the least I could do was slip him some interviews here and there to help him get a serious gig as a freelance entertainment journalist."

"Bet he's pissed as fuck to see you go."

"Yeah right," Lauren retorted, laughing as she took a sip of her wine. "He's one of the good guys, Mani. Keep that in mind for when you and Dinah need something like that."

"Like anyone gives a flying fuck what we do," Normani said, rolling her eyes. "So, for reals, what are you going to do in New York?"

"TNT has a new medical drama that they're going to be coming out with next year that I've agreed to do. They have some casting left to do on it still, but the script I've seen looked interesting so I signed on. It'll film on location in Manhattan and on a sound stage in New Jersey so, really, it's the best I could've wished for so far as location goes."

Normani pursed her lips and nodded, obviously impressed. "Sweet. I bet you'll look hot in scrubs."

Lauren chuckled and shook her head. "Somehow, I'm not at all surprised that you went there."

"Whatevs. You love it," Normani grumbled, smiling. "And you're selling the house?"

Lauren rolled her eyes. "Yeah. Don't you start on me too."

"Start on you, what?"

"Camila wants me to keep it and rent it out or something," Lauren explained as she lifted her wine glass to her lips for another slow sip. She sighed as Normani arched a brow and nodded as if to agree with Camila's idea. "Look, I get that it's a cool house-"

"Laur, this place is fucking awesome," Normani retorted. "But it's just a house. You know as well as I do that a house doesn't make a home. Your home is wherever that pint-sized powerhouse is screeching annoyingly at all hours of the day, so you don't need to hang onto this place. Though..." Her voice trailed off thoughtfully and she shook her head. "Had I known you were going to be hightailing it east chasing after Elphaba there, I would have waited on putting the offer in on our new place and bought this one instead."