Chapter 5 Happily Ever...

Chapter 5

Happily Ever...

Aria and Vanessa walked to Homeroom together that morning. This day the girls were supposed to meet in Myrtle's room, while the guys in Mr. Conner's. People still gossiped about their theories on Becket's murder.

"I think its obvious Kendal did it," Karin was saying to anyone who would listen. "I mean, why else would she disappear like that. Also, I can't believe she's still nominated for Prom Queen. Someone here should probably do something about that, right?"

"I don't think anyone really concerned about Prom with everything going on," Lacey pointed out. "I also don't think Kendal murdered anyone. That's crazy! I bet her mom sent her to her dad's for a while in secret to keep her away from all the commotion."

Aria sighed, wishing Lacey's theory was true. She did not say anything to Vanessa, wanting to avoid an argument. Aria decided she would not condemn her friend for anything until she was absolutely sure. All she knew was that the murder had to be by someone magical. The police found no weapon even though it was clear Becket had been stabbed. There was also no trace of fingerprints anywhere in the office, even where there should be. Aria figured someone used magic to erase the evidence and went a little too far. Perhaps it was Kendal as she had magic, but Aria supposed Sahrissa could have come in and done a messy magical job cleaning up after herself to deceive them.

When the girls entered their classroom, the first thing Aria noticed was that it was not Myrtle sitting at the teacher's desk. Instead, it was Adora.

As students started to mingle in, Adora stood up and announced, "Good morning, children... uh, students. I am Ms. Fleming and I will be filling in for Ms. Malone while she's away." She picked up a paper packet and glanced at it. "I guess it says here, I'm supposed to read some announcements for you."

Aria and Vanessa sat in their usual desks, exchanging confused glances. The bell rang, signaling when Homeroom was actually supposed to begin. Adora took no notice of the bell and continued reading. She covered sports, the upcoming Choir concert, and reminders to vote for Prom King and Queen. Aria found that Karin was right. Even though Kendal was suspected for murder and not currently at the school, her name was still listed under the nominations. She wondered if people were actually still voting for her friend.

Right as the dismissal bell rang Aria and Vanessa eyed each other and waited for the other girls to leave before walking up to the teacher's desk.

Adora, however looked at the door with interest. "That's curious. How do they all know when to leave?"

Aria's glanced up at the speakers on the ceiling. "That bell you just heard signals us when classes begin and end."

Adora tilted her head, still confused. "But the bell I heard at the beginning sounded the same if I recall? Shouldn't the bell ending this session have a different sound than the beginning bell?"

Vanessa shrugged and nodded. "She actually has a pretty good point there."

Aria, however, shook her head impatiently. "Never mind that. Where is Myrtle?"

"Myrtle," Adora's lips puffed slightly, looking suddenly irritated, "decided to crown herself Queen of Evalius without giving any notice of her intentions."

Aria's eyes widened. "She did what?"

"Yes, she's queen there now," Adora continued. "I found out from Verna, who is quite infuriated, needless to say."