Chapter 16 Sahrissa's Mirror

Chapter 16

Sahrissa's Mirror

            Kendal took in a deep breath as she was escorted to the private meeting room where Verna awaited her. She briefly turned her head back, grateful to have Derek and Vanessa following her. To be honest, Kendal had no idea what to expect from the Head Fairy.

            When the three were shown in the room, they saw Verna stood alone by a table.

            "Queen Kendal," Verna began, stiffly. "Thank you for meeting with me. Please, have a seat if you like."

            "I think I'll stand," Kendal muttered in response before asking, "What's this all about?"

            Verna folded her hands as she explained, "I want to discuss with you about the being your people in Ventura and those of Galatia will be battling. The best way I can think to go about this is fire. After all, Sahrissa hid here with torches surrounding the gates and that seemed to keep her away. Fire may be able to weaken this Ice Queen but I'm not sure if it will be enough to destroy her."

            Kendal frowned and crossed her arms. "So you've never come across someone with this kind of power before?"

            Verna shook her head as she strolled around the table. "No, but I am certain her magic comes from the Icelands."

            "What do you know about the Icelands?" Kendal asked, taking a step closer to her.

            "These lands are far north," Verna informed her. "As you may have heard, the Icelands are enchanted. There is a reason so few know of this. Anyone who would travel to the Icelands would die instantly because the cold is so intense."

            Kendal tilted her head and pointed out, "But when the Ice Queen went there she didn't die. Instead she got powers?"

            "Yes," Verna confirmed. "Only those who have gone cold-hearted will find power there."

            For a moment the room remained silent as everyone tried to absorb this in.

            Vanessa then asked, "What would make the Ice Queen so cold-hearted in the first place? Is it because of Sahrissa somehow?"

            Kendal turned around to look at her before responding, "I once tried asking her why she hated Sahrissa so much, but the only answer she gave was that her mere existence bothered her."

            "Yes," Verna said with a nod, "With her magic that is likely all she can feel right now. She's been too consumed for too long. It is likely we'll never know just what made her the way she is. Right now, the best we can do is focus on defeating her. I have enchanted all arrows our soldiers use to flame once they are shot."

            "That's good," Kendal agreed with a nod. "I've been practicing with them."

            "She's gotten pretty good, too," Derek added.

            For a moment, Verna merely gawked at Kendal. When she blinked she demanded, "What do you mean? You are not going to be on the battlefield."

            Kendal briefly glanced at her friends before answering, "Uh, yes I am. As queen, don't you think I should be?"

            Verna shook her head. "Absolutely not. It's too dangerous. As queen, you need to be protected when the fighting takes place."

            "What good will I be if I'm hiding out while these people are risking their lives?" Kendal demanded. "My place is with the people. If I were not there with them, then I would not be the queen they deserve."

            Verna folded her arms. "And what if something were to happen to you? Then who would lead this kingdom? With Sahrissa vanished, Snow White frozen, and you without an heir, there is no one else."

            "I won't be here forever," Kendal argued. "Once the portal is unfrozen and this is all over, we're going home."

            She turned her head to look at Derek and Vanessa, who both appeared anxious on this. Vanessa seemed to want to walk out of this world right this moment.

            Verna, however, let her eyes fall and shook her head. "My sisters and I have done everything we can to unfreeze the lake but nothing has worked. It is very likely the three of you will have to accept your lives in this world."

xXx

            Later that evening, Kendal rummaged around in Sahrissa's chambers, looking for any sort of clue of her past. Even though she doubted she would find anything useful, Kendal still felt the need to try. She grew frustrated with how easily it seemed everyone was willing to give up on defeating the Ice Queen. First, Sahrissa runs away, and now even the Head Fairy pretty much stated there was no way to undo her power.

            Kendal's thoughts drifted to Aria and all the other frozen victims. If what Verna implied turned out to be true, then they were really all gone, forever. Kendal felt her head grow lighter and her palms sweat as she thought of this.

            In attempt to ease her frustration, Kendal sat down on a chair close to the wall and rested her elbows on the table. She placed her hands over her face. After she felt a cold draft down her throat, Kendal began to cough. She looked up and saw smoke clouding the mirror. This must be the Magic Mirror.

            Kendal rolled her eyes and grumbled, "Oh, what the hell? Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?"

            The smoke began to twirl as the mirror answered, You are indeed fair, Queen Kendal. However, one does now surpass you.

            "Who," Kendal asked in a sigh, thinking it would be rather ironic if the mirror said Sahrissa.

            The mirror spoke, The one who I have deemed is Fairest in the Lands now lies right here in this kingdom. It is the Princess Snow White.

            It took her a moment to process before it hit her.

            "Snow White," Kendal repeated in a breath.

            I am sorry, my Queen. As long as Snow White lives, she is the Fairest.

            Kendal stood up. "No, this is great. Snow White is the fairest as it should be!"

            She them immediately rushed out of the room to the guest chambers where Vanessa stayed. The moment she arrived, Kendal knocked on the door.

            "Vanessa, it's me. Are you still awake?"

            "Yeah, come in," Vanessa called back.

            When Kendal walked in, she saw her friend sitting up in bed, lighting a candle.

            "I need to tell you something," Kendal began, sitting down on the side of her bed. "I found Sahrissa's mirror and talked to it. I asked it who the fairest in the lands was."

            Vanessa merely gawked at her. "You actually asked the mirror if you were fairest still?"

            Kendal rolled her eyes. "No that's not why I did it. Anyway, you know what it said?"

            Vanessa shook her head, not following.

            Kendal grabbed her friend's hand and answered, "It said Snow White! It told me as long as she lives, she is the Fairest in all the Lands."

            "What?" Vanessa muttered rubbing her forehead.

            "Vanessa, don't you know what this means?" Kendal went on, squeezing her hand more. "It means Snow White for sure is alive. If she's alive then she can still be saved. This means..."

            Vanessa finished for her, "Aria can too."