Chapter 7 She's Coming

Chapter 7

She's Coming

"So when you say frozen..." Vanessa began the next morning but could not think of how to phrase her inquiry.

"Her body was ice cold," Aria answered quietly, looking down. "It actually hurt to touch her skin."

Aria and Vanessa used the time before Homeroom to discuss what happened with Adora. Everyone was supposed to be in Mr. Conner's room so they had Myrtle's old English room to themselves. Adora sat at the teacher's desk while Aria and Vanessa sat in the front two student desks.

Vanessa took in a breath before asking in a quivering tone, "So does that mean she's... dead?"

Aria could not bring herself to answer. She honestly had no idea. She felt so strange, unsure of whether to mourn her fairy friend or not. She desperately hoped that since Myrtle seemed to be under some sort of enchantment there would be a way to undo it.

Aria looked up to Adora, who answered, "I haven't seen this kind of magic before, honestly. I'll have to talk with Verna and see if she knows what kind it could be. What do you remember about the woman who cast the spell, Aria?"

"Well..." Aria looked up as she reflected, "everything about her was just... cold. I don't know how else to explain it. I felt a sudden chill simply by her presence."

Adora nodded and concluded, "I suppose this woman could also be the one causing the sudden weather change in our land."

Vanessa suddenly pounded her fist on her desk and declared, "Oh my god, it's the Snow Queen! That's who she is!" She glanced over at Aria and added, "That's a story, too, right? That's got to be it!"

Aria honestly could not think of anything else this woman could be and was surprised she did not figure it out sooner.

"Is that possible?" Aria asked Adora.

Adora shrugged. "I don't know of a woman with that title but I do know there are lands far north known as the Icelands. No one goes there because the cold is too intense but Greg speculates that the land itself contains magic."

"So just by traveling to these Icelands this woman gained ice magic?" Vanessa asked.

Adora nodded. "I believe it's possible."

"So I guess that would make her, as you said, the Snow Queen," Aria concluded nodding towards Vanessa.

For a moment, the three of them sat quietly until Vanessa asked, "Okay, so you said the Snow Queen came looking for Sahrissa before she froze Myrtle, but what would she possible want with the Evil Queen?"

"There's only one person who can answer that," Aria said, letting out a sigh, "Sahrissa."

xXx

Sahrissa rode into Evalius by horseback alone. She knew this kingdom had a new queen since that very queen requested her presence this day. Sahrissa hoped she was not being too bold coming alone, as last time she found herself in prison. She honestly did not know what to expect from the current Queen Myrtle.

She entered the palace and went through the maze as she had previously done.

"Someone seriously needs to redesign this place," Sahrissa muttered as she passed the final dim dungeon before arriving to the hall of portraits that led to the main throne room.

Sahrissa spotted the first guard in the room and demanded, "I want to speak with Queen Myrtle. Where is she?"

Without any voice, the guard merely looked down and grimly pointed towards the throne. Sahrissa pointed her eyes towards that throne. She found it covered by a sheer black veil. She slowly stepped towards the royal seat with her hand over her mouth. Each breath she took grew heavier as she neared the still queen.

"Myrtle?" Sahrissa gasped as she pulled down the veil, reveling Myrtle's stiff form. Her flesh appeared to have a pale blue tint to it. Sahrissa reached her hand out to touch Myrtle's cheek but withdrew it quickly. The contact almost felt as though it burned. "She did this to you... didn't she?"

Sahrissa gulped as she uttered those words. Only one person came to her mind that was capable of such a deed. The queen's head fogged with fear at the thought of this person being near by.

"She's back, Sahrissa."

Sahrissa swung her head around to see a familiar face behind her. "Tatia?"

Her stepsister had the same blonde ringlets Sahrissa remembered. Her shielded eyes still prevented her from seeing as she had a walking stick positioned in front of her.

"She's back," Tatia repeated chillingly, "our mother, and she's coming for you."