To The Moon And Back

she stood in front of the bathroom mirror, she had bags under her eyes and she was extremely pale. it was the morning of her best friend's funeral, it had been 6 days 11 hours and 37 minutes since she lost him. That's all she could think about, Him holding her, telling her she was going to be okay, her hearing his heartbeat for the last time. It haunted her, followed her everywhere she went, the little voices telling her she could have done better, she could have done more and that it was her fault. A knock on the door pulled her out of her fantasy world.

"who is it?"

"It's just me Dr.Lim," Morgan said.

"What do you need?"

"We have to leave"

"Okay, I'll be down in a minute"

Audrey took a deep breath, "You're going to be just fine Audrey, pull yourself together"

when they arrived at the church, Audrey walked in and immediately saw Claire. They didn't need to speak, they knew the other needed a hug more than ever. once they sat down and the funeral started. Glassman was first to speak about his times with Neil, he choked up a lot but so did everyone. Then, it was her turn. She stood up and walked to the front where the mic was and took a deep breath.

"Hi, some of you know who I am but some don't, My name is Audrey Lim and Neil was nothing short of my best friend, and" she choked up a bit and felt the tears coming.

Audrey took a few deep breaths as Lea got up and stood next to her."He was also the love of my life. in our line of work when we lose a patient, we are taught to say the same line every time, we are sorry for your loss, but many of us found that out the hard way, and now it seems like it means nothing. 11 years ago, we were 2 years into residency and I had lost my patient, he followed me to the roof of the hospital and stood next to me, he knew it was his cue to hug me when I let out a sob. he wrapped his arms around me and told me "Everything is gonna be fine, you're going to be fine". he was right. flashforward to 6 days ago, He held me in his arms and kissed the top of my head and told me the same thing he told me 11 years ago on that rooftop, "everything is going to be okay, you're going to be okay", then his heart stopped. Neil impacted the lives of people he met and I can't lie when I say he changed my life. He changed the lives of Dr.Shaun Murphy, Claire Browne, Alex park, Morgan Reznick and we all miss him so much that it feels like we will never be happy again, but Neil wouldn't want us to be like this, he would want us to move on. we will forever miss him,"

Audrey walked down to his casket, putting her hand on it, "te Quiero Neil," she whispers as she sits next to Glassman as he wrapped his arms around her.

after the funeral and the burial, Audrey sat on a bench right in front of his grave. she looked up at the sky,

"Hey asshat, I know you're up there, I just want you to know that I miss you so much, words can't even describe, It may hurt like hell right now but I know I'm going to be just fine and that I love you so much that I let you go which I now know was the biggest mistake I've ever made and I regret it so much and my heart breaks just thinking I'm never going to see you again, But I'm going to be just fine, I love you"

she stood up and walked with Morgan and Claire who were waiting behind, She and claire hooked arms and started walking. she promised that she would be okay, and one day she would be, but not for a while.