Finished

For the next several months, my life fell into a routine. On weekdays, I would work my normal shift at the gas station then grab my laptop bag to spend a few hours writing in Alastor's study. On weekends, however, I would drag myself out of bed before noon and spend my entire waking day writing my heart out uninterrupted. 

"I can't believe it," I said in disbelief, looking at my screen, "I finally finished it." 

Hearing me from the other room, Alastor poked his head in, "Did you just say you've finished?" 

Turning to face him, I replied, "The first draft, yeah."

Alastor peered over my shoulder at my laptop. Fifty thousand words worth of story ready to be edited. His ever-present smile widened when he read the words on the page. 

"What next?" He asked.

I shrugged, "Rinse and repeat. I have to go through and edit it, then start the rewriting process."

Rinse and repeat indeed. 

It took me several more months to completely edit and rewrite my book. More weekends spent staring at my laptop screen while surrounded by a library of books that would have put the libraries of ancient Greece to shame. To be fair, the amount of self-control I possessed was superhuman. I didn't touch a single book.

The day I finally finished the final editing was rainy and cold. I stared in disbelief at my screen as if all the words would disappear like some bad joke if I dared to blink. This was it. This was what I hadn't been able to accomplish in life and by some miracle had accomplished in death.

I had finished my book.