Chapter 2

Art not mine ^

Jack P.O.V.

I wake up in a bed, which surprises me because I'm pretty sure we were on the couch last night. Feeling a burst of restlessness, I throw the blanket off, which wakes everyone up. "Jack, what the hell?" Felix exclaims. "I don't know. It's time to wake up!" I decide aloud, jumping on the end of the bed. "You're such a child!" Felix argues. "In case you didn't notice, we all are." "Doesn't mean you have to act like one." I stop. "Whoa, you're right...I didn't even notice." I sit down. "I know what you mean. I've been feeling it too." Ethan speaks up. I've noticed that. Ethan has been acting like a kid more and more. "I'm boooored!" Mark interrupts, hanging off the side of the bed. "We shouldn't go snooping around (Y/n)'s house." I say, trying to be reasonable and control my curiosity. "Whatever. She isn't my mom!" Mark jumps from the bed, rushing to the door, and sprints out of the room. "Mark!" We all clamber off the bed after him.

We follow him back into the living room, where Mark jumps into the couch and grabs the remote. "Whoa whoa whoa! Who said you get to control?" Felix protests. "I got here first, so logic and shit." Mark retorts. Nate lunges for the remote, and grabs it from Mark. "Possession is nine tenths of the law, bitch!" He exclaims. "No way, you chose last night!" I argue. "I wanna choose!" Felix tackles Nate, and they grapple for the remote until it tumbled away for them. Mark, Ethan, and I look at each other then dive for it. Resulting in us grappling for it us well. We must have woken (Y/n) because she comes into the living room, looking slightly pissed. "Guys, stop that!" She tears us all apart, then takes the remote herself. "If you can't agree, no one gets it." We all groan, sitting crossed legged with our arms crossed. I look up at her, hating the feeling of shortness that I now am, and notice her streaked face. "What's wrong?" I ask. She look down in surprise. "Doesn't matter." She sets the remote on a shelf to high to reach.

"Okay, I called into work and took the week off. I claimed my cousin's kids needing to be watched while she went in her honeymoon with her new husband. Pretty good lie is I do say so myself." (Y/n) announces. "But now, you guys have to think really heard. Is there anything that you remember from that night. Anything." She pleads. I clench my eyes, rubbing my temples to think. I remember us playing video games... and crashing on Mark's couch. Then I do remember something I didn't think anything of at the time. Two little neon green lights in the corner of the room. I figured it was some device that was left on. "I saw little green lights in the corner." Mark looks at me. "Green lights? In the corner? That isn't anything of mine." Mark says. (Y/n) perks at this. "Okay, so that could be something. Mark we should go to you're house." I say. "Right...I just...need to remember...." Mark face palms. "Gahhhh! Kids!" (Y/n) throws her hands up in frustration. "You know what? I'll go make some food." (Y/n), reasonably upset, goes to the kitchen.

(Y/n) P.O.V.

I get out six bowl and decide to just get some cereal. "Why are you sad? You were crying." I hear a voice behind me. I look back to see Jack. I give a small smile. "Grown up things." I say. "I am a grown up." He protests. I don't really want to tell him. I mean, who confides in a kid they're caring for. But I decide he is an adult after all. "My (boy/girl)friend broke up with me last night because I haven't had a lot of time lately." I say. "I'll fight 'em for making you sad." Jack says angrily. I laugh. "It's okay." I ruffle his hair. "Besides, they're right. I don't have a lot of time right now. It's probably for the best. Sometimes....life changes things." I sigh, thinking about the five kids in my home. How is this gonna be fixed?