11+ ELEVEN +11

With daylight almost gone, you estimate there is only about an hour of walking left before you have to stop

With daylight almost gone, you estimate there is only about an hour of walking left before you have to stop. In the end thats fine with you since you feet hurt like hell. There is no way of knowing without taking your shoes off, but most likely the pedicure you got done in Panama City is already ruined. You should ask Salvador what specialist he visits later, so you can get a better one next time. You sigh and melancholically yearn for your friend Chimeg, who you met on a riding tour of the mongolian-manchurian steppe in '48. She was the only one who truly knew how to get your pinky toe exactly right.

Anyway, as you duck underneath yet another vine, you come across a wonderful find. Everyone had quickly hurried by without even giving it a second look and you are first and only one to stop. It may smell like the combination of gorgonzola and the poop of an ocelot with gastroenteritis, but the flowers of the Brownea macrophylla, or Panama Flame tree are truly priceless. At least to you.

Emily shakes her head at you and everyone else waits from a safe distance for you to stop standing absolutely mesmerized infront of a tree.  Jokes on them though, you have no intention of moving anytime soon. With its fire red center and spiky orange-yellow petals, the flowers on this particular specimen are extrodinary. It would be a grave mistake to not study them further.

As you examine the flower closely, the red and yellow begins to remind you of paella, which subsequently reminds you of Spain, and finally you also remember those success-hungry Spanish rivals of yours. Most likely they are already hot on your heels and only getting closer as you do this lengthy internal monologue.

It would not end well if you lingered here too long and let them catch you by surprise. After all no one ever expected the Spanish Inquisition either, and we all know how that turned out.

On the otherhand, these kinds of flower samples are a rarity. They also go over well with the plant biologist back home, especially when you need to get a favour done in their lab.

You wipe your sweaty palms on your khakis and ponder over what you should do next.

Look at the flowers for longer go to 15

Stop looking at the flowers go to 16

*The Brownea macrophylla or Panama Flame tree does not smell as described, in fact I have no idea what it smells like, since I was unable to find out. I'd assume in reality it probably smells rather pleasant.