35+ THIRTY-FIVE +35

As it turns out, that baby turtle is in fact a medium sized rock, so you decide it's probably best to release it back into wild so it can lead a natural life outside of captivity

As it turns out, that baby turtle is in fact a medium sized rock, so you decide it's probably best to release it back into wild so it can lead a natural life outside of captivity. Hence, you yeet that thing straight back into the river and quickly wipe your hands clean on the guide, who you had sort of forgotten existed for a while there. You ponder for a moment if you should ask him where to go next, but since you know better anyway, you consider it a waste of time.

You make your decision, the cave looks too spooky so trees it is. 

Thunder begins to rumble as the rain continues to pour and you've already been standing here so long that your feet have sunk ankle deep into the soggy riverbank. It's time to get a move on, so you snap your fingers at the rest of the team, who can't even see you through the sheets of rain, point at those low treetops and begin sloshing your way through the mud in their direction.

Half an hour later, you burst through the  fern-looking vegetation at the edge of those trees and the raining finally stops. Reaching cover ultimately took longer than you expected since you ended up having to assist Emily in dragging the half-conscious Salvador face down through the mud. Ughh, you think to yourself, what a drama queen.

 Water drips from your brow into your eyes and you tug at your wet shirt that has plastered itself against your skin. Your shoes are so wet, your toes are practically doing breaststroke in there and your underwear has de-patented itself and is now the olympic champion in deep sea diving. 

Based purely on the amount of spluttering and cursing around you, you surmise that everyone else's clothes must be equally into aquatic sports, but in all honesty you can't actually tell what they're saying. The sound of rain hammering on the leaves above is so loud that their words just become indistinguishable chatter.  

You wipe the water off your face with your sleeve and glance up at the tight-knit roof of foilage. Holy moly, is it green. You don't come across a single gap as your eyes follow the numerous vines that weave themselves through the trees before settling on the slanting terrain in front of you. You find yourself staring at something you would never guess lay hidden in plain sight like this.

What looks like very low treetops from afar, turns out to be a collection of terraces that go downwards along a second, deeper canyon valley. You are currently standing at the edge of the highest terrace, sheltered by tall canopies of trees that are growing from below you. You can't tell for sure if this whole thing is man-made, but something tells you this is just not natural. Also, the air here is heavy with humidity and carries a different sort of musk than the rest of the forest. Both foreign and familiar, it smells like mulch, mold and death.

'Shhhhhh!' Someone suddenly hisses and the cursing around you immediately stops. Even the forest falls quiet and all you can hear is Salvador's weak groaning from the floor.

Five seconds of being still later, you're about to start complaining again, when the most ear-splitting, hair-rising scream in the history of screams slices through the silence like a butcher's knife through bone.

Feel that fight-or-flight response kick in and go to 56