Chapter 1

Bumping along the cliffs, Charlotte strained to see through the grimy carriage window, longing to catch a glimpse of the glittering sea and the seaside town she had grown to love. "How I have missed you, Sanditon!" she thought to herself. She smiled broadly when the gleaming white stone buildings came into view. These same buildings, after the disastrous fire that changed her life completely, were charred and looking hopeless when she left a year ago. This place, clinging to the wide expanse of beach, had become her chosen home. After her time abroad and a visit with her Willingden family, she had looked forward to this sweet moment of return to Sanditon.

Drawing up to the summer home of her friend the door was thrown open in welcome. Charlotte, without respectable restraint, nearly threw herself from the carriage and into the embrace of her good friend and mentor, Lady Susan Worcester. "Oh, you cannot imagine how much I have missed you!" she exclaimed while wiping happy tears from her eyes. "And, likewise, you know how much I have longed for your return to us!" Lady Susan said while holding Charlotte at arm's length to get a good look at her friend--searching for any indication of weariness or sadness. "You are looking well, despite your long journey," she said smiling as she led Charlotte into the house. "Come, come, let's call for tea and have a good long chat, just as soon as you are settled."

Charlotte's trunks were dutifully carried upstairs and placed in her quarters, dresses hung, and a fresh change of clothing for dinner laid out. Once settled in her beautifully furnished rooms, she was anxious to hear all the news of Sanditon.

Descending the stairs, she cheerfully effused, "I want to hear about everyone, walk the beach and cliffs, and see everything! Of course, I wish to see Tom, Mary, and the children right away. They were such kind hosts last year. They encouraged me to come back; however, under the circumstances when I left, I could not promise. I am also excited to meet the newest Babbington. I must call on them soon. And there are so many others I long to see. How I have missed everyone!"

Lady Susan smiled and welcomed her friend to an elegant but comfortable drawing room.

Charlotte remarked, with less enthusiasm, "I was so sorry to hear of Lady Denham's passing-my father informed me upon my arrival in Willingden. She became a friend to me and will be so missed I am sure. She did love to tease! I would have enjoyed seeing her again. Well, it is not to be unfortunately."

Lady Susan, surmising that Charlotte had received very little news of Sanditon beyond the headlines, began with the Denham news, "Were you aware that Lady Denham left her estate to the town of Sanditon, with of course, a stipulation that the "asses' milk" continues to flow? It is a strange legacy she wanted, is it not?"

"That is wonderful news and it is surely a unique legacy! I do not imagine the news of her will was well received by Sir Edward or Miss Brereton." Charlotte remarked with a slight smile. "Although, I imagine she has endeared herself to the Parkers."

"It has made the rebuilding very easy, and yet someone must keep Tom's grand ideas in check. Mr. Stringer has been a marvel in the rebuilding of all that was lost in the fire-very capable. And with the additional capital he has the men and equipment that was much needed."

As tea was served, Lady Susan steered the conversation to Charlotte. "Now tell me, Charlotte, how are you, and specifically your heart, and how was New York? It seemed a hasty decision to go abroad, although I admit it was most appropriate in view of ... everything." Brightening, Susan said, " I am sure your father's sister was thrilled to have you for a year while you were studying."

"Oh, yes, it was grand being there with Aunt Abigail and her family, she was so sweet to me, and while New York is a huge and exciting city, and a bit overwhelming I might add, my studies kept my mind busy and focused, which was a very good thing given my state of mind when I arrived there. I appreciated the distance from everything familiar and a new challenge to occupy my mind. It was so exciting to learn about something I have had an interest in, especially after seeing Sanditon being built."