Chapter 5

"You simply must stay out of the drenching rain and wind, Charlotte. Please take your time today and rest a while. I fear you may be in for a setback," Lady Susan said with concern as she gathered her wrap and bonnet. "I will be in London for a few days-we must have new ball gowns for the end of season ball and as ever, there are business issues to address. Tell me you will try to rest and not go wandering on the clifftops until this weather improves."

"Thank you for your kind concern, and I will stay in from the weather, but I don't feel unwell and I am looking forward to seeing the Babbingtons and their little one soon. As well, I have arranged to meet with Mr. Stringer tomorrow to see the rebuilding progress and also talk with him about his thoughts on the addition."

Lady Susan looked at Charlotte in a mock scolding way and said, "I simply want you to stay well. We have much ahead of us!"

"I promise, if I begin to feel poorly, I will stay in my bed and drink quantities of hot tea!" Charlotte replied with a warm smile, encouraging Lady Susan not to worry and to hurry back from London. "Upon your return I look forward to sharing all the news from the Babbingtons and learn of any news of Arthur and Diana you may hear. They are a funny pair, and I believe they are also in London at the moment."

With a warm embrace, Lady Susan left and quickly entered her coach, trying to not get rained upon.

Charlotte, turning to the drawing room, called for a pot of tea and sat gazing out the windows as Lady Susan's coach pulled away. It was a truly gloomy day again and she may not be able to visit the sea as she had hoped. Once her tea was served, she swirled the tea leaves in her cup and looked forward to being on her own for a short while.

Encounters with Sidney's memory, with just the mention of his name, were causing her to doubt her decision to return to Sanditon. "Will this always be the case until I am entirely over the memory of those few promising encounters?" she asked herself. "And, what of my vain imagination-how do I put that to rest? Apparitions calling my name from the cliffs. Charlotte, please..."

Shaking off her melancholy she returned to her rooms and prepared for her day. Once again she picked up her volume of Heraclitus and turned to the well-worn page, "...For he is not the same man, and it is not the same river," she read. Would that be true if she were ever to see Sidney? Are we not the same people we were a year ago? The river runs on and we change... And, what of trust? Is it wise to step into the river twice? Her thoughts plagued her.

From the foot of the stairway, the butler called out to her, "Visitor for Miss Charlotte Heywood."

Charlotte, from the top of the stairs with surprise asked, "Who is it?"

The butler announced, "Lord Babbington, ma'am."

With a smile that could not be suppressed, Charlotte flew down the stairs and to the door welcoming him. "Lord Babbington, what a wonderful surprise! I was just thinking on a good time to call on you and Lady Babbington. I hear there is another Babbington? A son? Please, sit down, will you? I am anxious to hear your news!"

"Charlotte, how good to see you. You have been missed terribly in this sometimes dreary little seaside town!" Babbington said, smiling and reaching for her hand. "We do have a robust little son, and he charms us constantly!" He continued, "How are you? You look particularly well, and I do believe your year away has been a good one. Of course, we want to hear all the news of your travels. Mr. Tom Parker has given us a taste of your very ambitious year abroad and plans for the future. I daresay, Lady Babbington, Esther to you, would very much enjoy a visit."

With a hesitation while looking intently into her lovely eyes, he continued. "Charlotte, I must admit that once I heard you were back in Sanditon I knew this would be a shock to Sidney. Did you know about his broken engagement?"

"Yes, Lady Susan shared the details of that situation. I do hope he is recovering from yet another broken engagement to Mrs. Eliza Campion." Charlotte said very matter-of-factly, attempting to keep her opinion of her from her voice. Mrs. Campion's disregard for her still stung her memory.

"Charlotte, I am here on Sidney's behalf as well. Are you aware that he is at this moment in Sanditon? He was meant to be on his way to Antigua, but Miss Lambe has fallen ill with a fever and their travel is postponed," he explained.

Once again, the earth began spinning in the opposite direction and she was fearful that she might faint. Would this never end?

"That is surprising news," she said while taking a deep breath to regain her balance. "I was told by Tom Parker that he was on his way to Antigua with Miss Lambe and her fiancé."

"Sidney learned just yesterday that you are here in Sanditon and he called upon me right away this morning. He is perhaps in the worst emotional turmoil I have ever witnessed of him. And, you can imagine, he is no stranger to disappointment or troubling issues. He has asked that I act as his ambassador, which is highly unusual for him as you would know, to determine your willingness to see him. I believe he is desperate to see you."

Lord Babbington rose from his chair and began to pace the room. "You know he is the dearest friend I have, and it has been a most difficult year for him and consequently for all of us who care for him. If you can give an answer, please do so now. If you need time to think on this, please understand that he will be leaving again in a matter of a few days and will be gone for an undetermined time."

It was obvious to Charlotte that the pain she had felt at their parting a year ago was not hers alone, but it had overflowed to all of the Parkers, with the exception of Tom who due to his nature remained oblivious; and also to those friends closest to both of them.

"Lord Babbington, I will need a bit of time to catch my breath and consider this." She said as tears began gathering in her eyes. "I knew with my return to Sanditon and my friendship with Tom and Mary Parker as well as Arthur and Diana, that I would indeed see Sidney again. The Parkers are dear friends."

Charlotte continued, "I promise you that I will not delay with a response. I will send word by tomorrow. Lady Susan is on her way to London for a few days, and it will give me solitude to think on this."

At that, Lord Babbington called for his hat and coat, "Charlotte, it is my hope that you will give Sidney your consideration. Regardless of your answer, it has been lovely seeing you again. And, we would truly love to visit with you at our home. We will look forward to that. As for Sidney, I will wait for news from you."

Taking his leave, Charlotte sat again near the windows and watched Lord Babbington as he walked up the street, dodging the rain and holding his hat on his head against the wind. She saw that he was greeted by someone who appeared to be waiting for him. "Sidney!" She thought with tears beginning to fall.

The men disappeared around the corner and Charlotte was able to tear herself from the windows and return again to her rooms. With every strong emotion churning, she did not know how to answer Lord Babbington. Although her first thought was her love for Sidney... lurking just below the surface were hurt and anger. "This will require a bit of consideration," she thought. "I am not sure I can trust myself, the "wild wind of a girl."

Honoring her promise to Lady Susan, Charlotte stayed in and spent most of her day reading; however, as the weather cleared late in the afternoon, she could not resist a walk. Donning her coat and firmly tying her bonnet in the hopes it would not fly away again, she stepped out into the sunshine and a gentle, warm breeze. "Oh, the tonic of the outdoors!" she thought to herself.

With no particular destination in mind, she strolled through town, gazing at the wares displayed in the merchants' windows, finding it to be a soothing occupation of mind after all of the thinking she was required to do with the news of Sidney.

It occurred to her that she had not claimed the post in some days and began walking in that direction, hoping to find a letter from her family. As she rounded the corner, occupied with her own thoughts of news from home, she was jostled and nearly sent to the street by a tall gentleman who was in a great hurry.

"Excuse me!" she said with a distinctly angry edge to her voice. Looking up into the face of the gentleman who had removed his hat in apology, and offered his hand, she was at that moment gazing into the dark and lovely eyes of Mr. Sidney Parker.

"Charlotte. At long last."