Chapter 14

"Walk with me. Come on..." Sidney said extending his hand to Charlotte. Without hesitation she took his hand and with the crowd looking on, they quickly released their hands and began to walk along the river.

In typical Tom Parker fashion, Tom came quickly along to greet Sidney and welcome him back. "Sidney! Welcome home. We were not sure when you would be returning. Good timing! Was that not the most exciting race?"

"Indeed it was, Tom, and you succeeded without me, although without Admiral Heywood you may not have." he said smiling in Charlotte's direction.

"You must stay with us-we long to hear all the news of your voyage and time in Antigua. Please say you will! Mary has been so concerned and will love to have you with us." Tom spoke with enthusiasm.

"Of course, Tom, I will stay tonight, but I will not be able to stay longer. As you can imagine there is much to be dealt with in London. I came to Sanditon without so much as a night's sleep. And, obviously, it was good, or I might have missed this unusual regatta. Well done, Tom." Sidney said with affection for his brother.

Sidney and Charlotte began walking again away from the crowds that were still milling about before dispersing. Once out of view and hearing, the two stopped walking and Sidney reached for Charlotte's hand again. "How I missed you. Had I known you would return to Sanditon, there would not have been a voyage to take me away from England. The time at sea was most painful being unable to hear from you."

"It has been a strange time. I have been kept very busy with the planning for the addition to Sanditon... and the regatta was another project your brother, Tom, asked me to lead. However, every moment not occupied with these responsibilities were dedicated to thoughts of you. Many nights I was unable to sleep for the thinking." Charlotte said nervously.

Not knowing how to approach the most burning questions between them, Charlotte continued, "I am so very glad you're back. I trust Georgiana and Otis are well?"

"Yes, they are well and will be coming by coach later today-their intent was to see you right away. They said often how much they owe to you and your faith in them. Georgiana in particular has missed your friendship terribly." Sidney said.

"Charlotte!" Alison called to her.

As Alison quickly came along to see that Charlotte was not in a difficult situation with an unknown man, Charlotte smiled and said, "Alison, please meet Mr. Sidney Parker. Mr. Parker, this is my sister Alison."

In stunned silence, Alison simply looked on as Charlotte and Sidney stood waiting for her to remember her manners and speak. "Oh, do forgive me. After hearing so much regarding you from your family and Charlotte, it is a great pleasure to finally meet you, Mr. Parker!"

"So, another Miss Heywood. A pleasure to meet you." Sidney smiled and said, not forgetting his manners.

To break the awkwardness of the conversation, Charlotte explained to Sidney that Alison is a guest of Tom and Mary. "Tom and Mary invited Alison to come to Sanditon without my knowing. It was the most wonderful surprise! She has been the best help with this regatta anyone could ask for and I do hope she stays on for a bit longer."

Alison, surmising this was a very special moment said, "Charlotte, I believe I am being rude interrupting your conversation, and the Parker children are ready for another chance to sail their little boats, so I will be off. Mr. Parker, it is so good to meet you and to see you are safely back from your adventure." Alison glanced at Charlotte with a knowing look and walked away in search of the children.

"Sidney, I am so relieved that you are here. Do forgive me, but I am exceedingly tired after everything today-I believe I was up and busy before the cocks crowed this morning! As much as I long to hear all about your trip, I cannot be much of a conversationalist right now. I feel a strong need for a bit of tea and rest before this evening. I wonder, are you are planning to attend the Regatta Ball tonight?"