Chapter 13

Charlotte had been at the river since the break of dawn. The day promised to be clear and pleasant with just the slightest breeze, which would be welcome for keeping cool during the festivities.

Charlotte and Alison were as busy as could possibly be imagined, making certain that all was ready for the Second Annual Sanditon Regatta. Food tents were being erected, drinks in casks placed for the ease of the guests, and delectable dishes were arriving from all corners of Sanditon. It would be a fine day and it was owing to Charlotte's unflinching drive to make it all perfect.

"Charlotte, I hesitate to ask, but have you had any word at all from Sidney or Miss Lambe?" Mary Parker questioned as she arranged food dishes on the table.

"Not since Lord Grasmere let Lady Susan know that a ship from Antigua made port in Portugal on its way to London and that was almost a week ago. Nothing from Sidney or Georgiana yet... have you had word?"

"Unfortunately, not, although we expect they will be returning very shortly. We must try to be patient. I am sure they should have made London by now, as there has not been any unfortunate news of sailing issues from the West Indies, so we can hold every hope that they are well," Mary said in an attempt to calm any fears or anxiety she herself or Charlotte might have.

As expected, Sanditon was filling up with visitors from London-the beau monde was once again descending upon the regatta at the suggestion of Lady Susan Worcester and given what could be gathered from the guest list for the hotel, planned to stay for the evening's ball. There was a palpable excitement in the air.

"Welcome one and all to the Second Annual Sanditon Regatta!" Tom Parker announced with great enthusiasm. "We are pleased to extend a warm welcome to our competitors and guests alike, so without further ado, let the festivities begin!" Applause was heard along the river shoreline and with a great deal of laughter, the children set to work constructing their sandcastles as other events were also making ready.

"Alison!" Charlotte called to her sister, "My dear sister, you have worked wonders with the preparations! How would I have made things ready without you!" Alison smiled broadly and hugged Charlotte. "You, Charlotte, are the wonder worker. This is a grand affair you have planned!"

It appeared that not only had London shown up for the regatta, but the local residents had emptied their houses and come for the day's activities. Those who were not participating in an event at the moment, were seen milling about the refreshment tables gossiping with friends. Mary Parker was the most gracious hostess with the refreshments and blushed at the steady compliments.

"Mary! Tom! We are here for all the excitement, although with our weaknesses today, it will be difficult to say for how long." Arthur said with a frown. Arthur and Diana came into the dessert tent to greet their family. "It is a grand turn out, is it not?" Mary said smiling. "Indeed it is!" Diana effused.

"I do feel I could try a small cake, since my breakfast was at least two hours ago." Arthur said eyeing the sweets. "Has anyone heard from my brother Sidney? It would be a shame if the Parker brothers were not able to participate in the gentlemen's boat race," Arthur continued while filling a plate with food.

"No, Arthur, no word from Sidney, so it appears the Parker brothers will not have a full team to launch a boat." Mary said looking around.

"I don't know... perhaps I may have a third in mind. Remember how Miss Heywood stepped up to play cricket last year. I wonder what she might know about rowing..." Arthur said with a questioning look.

"Oh, Arthur, please! You cannot expect Miss Heywood to join your rowing team!" Diana said, laughing.

With that thought playing in Arthur's mind, he went in search of Charlotte.