Chapter 3

My dear Georgiana,

I have missed you so!

My deepest apologies for not writing sooner, although I believe you would be the one friend who understands why I needed to distance myself from Mr. Sidney Parker! Believe me, I would have loved to keep our contact, but you may have guessed that with Sidney deciding to marry Mrs. Campion, my heart needed distance from everyone close to him. I could not have borne the news of his wedding.

You knew I was in love with him, even though I could not admit it to you. When we spoke that time in your room, I was not sure of his feelings for me. Once he made his intentions known, the night of that terrible fire, I never had an opportunity to share that with you-he did tell me he intended to ask for my hand in marriage, but that was not to be. The details of his decision you are well aware of.

I have heard the most wonderful news about you! I am beside myself with happiness for you and Otis! Mr. Tom Parker told me that through your determination, you and Otis managed to wear down Sidney's resistance to your marriage and he has given his blessing. You are meant to be together in life! I cried many tears for you with all you had endured... being led to believe that Otis betrayed you! How wonderful that you found your way back to trust and love. I am saddened, though, that you are probably at this moment sailing toward Antigua and we will need to wait to renew our friendship.

You may not know-indeed, I cannot believe you would know-that I am back from abroad and have made my home in Sanditon. I was fortunate to travel to New York (what an interesting place that is) and lived with my father's sister and her family while attending classes on architecture. It was a perfect place and diversion for my overwhelmed mind and heart. My friend Lady Susan Worcester has taken me under her wing and her intent is that we work together to plan a new addition to Sanditon. She is a great inspiration and is willing to collaborate with me, the budding architect, in the fine art of building and business! Of course, Mr. Stringer will be part of that planning, but I am so excited to be part of it!

I do hope you will forgive me for not writing to you these past months. It was a very painful departure from Sanditon, and I am afraid that if I had not gone abroad and broken my ties to the Parkers I would have fallen completely to pieces.

Please write and tell me you have forgiven me. I will be here in Sanditon when you return, and I will reserve many afternoons to spend with you!

Much love to you and Otis,

Your friend always,

Charlotte Heywood

Charlotte laid her pen aside. Savoring the memory of her friend, she looked pensively out her window where the rain was falling, lashing at the window. Rising from her writing table, she crossed the room to her books which were strewn about her bedside table. Picking up her volume of Heraclitus, she felt again the sting of Mrs. Campion's remarks and the laughter of the beau monde who followed her around at the regatta. That was the moment when she simply could not endure another moment of Sidney's ambivalence toward her and left the conversation with tears stinging her eyes. With her cheeks flaming at the memory, she easily turned to the words of Heraclitus that she and Sidney had exchanged prior to the uncomely comments by Mrs. Campion. "A man cannot step into the same river twice..."

With a deep sigh, Charlotte settled again to her writing task, beginning again.

Dear Family,

I miss you all so much! My arrival in Sanditon was met with the renewal of friendships and a lot of joy. The Tom Parkers send their regards and hope that you are all well. They continue to recall to me the kindness you showed them when their carriage overturned and Mr. Parker injured his ankle. It certainly put many things in motion for me, did it not?

The good news is that my dear friend, Miss Georgiana Lambe, is engaged to be married to her true love, Mr. Otis Molineux. I believe I mentioned them to you-such drama! Unfortunately, they have just sailed to Antigua with her guardian, Mr. Sidney Parker, to introduce Otis to her remaining family before they are wed next year. I will be looking forward to their return in a number of weeks.

Lady Susan is graciousness personified, and we are having a wonderful time getting reacquainted. I have missed her friendship and she certainly keeps me steady! Her home, as you can imagine, is as gracious as herself, and I fear I may become spoiled!

The sea and the beauty of this place continues to charm me beyond all reason-perhaps I am made of sea water and sand, much like Lady Denham! I am making it a habit to walk the shore and clifftops each day in order to take it all in. I often feel I need to pinch myself to know I am really back in Sanditon with dear friends and a future in architecture!

I know you are interested in knowing about the Parkers-all of them. Tom, Mary and their brood of brilliant children are doing very well. With Lady Denham's last will and testament leaving her estate to Sanditon (Isn't that unexpected?), and the needed capital secure, Tom is much more relaxed, and the rebuilding of the town is going very well under the guidance of Mr. James Stringer. Arthur and Diana are exactly as I left them. They continue to spend quantities of time and money with the resident doctor, but they are happy and thriving.

As for Sidney Parker. I am not sure what news you had of him that you mercifully did not pass along to me, but he did not marry Mrs. Campion. She was quietly courted by a man with a title and a considerable fortune and she broke the engagement to Sidney (for a second time). Tom Parker told me that Sidney is rarely in Sanditon, as he has devoted himself to his business in London and in caring for his ward, my friend, Miss Lambe. That is a mercy for me, as I am not certain how I would feel if I had to cross paths with him regularly. My heart is as you know, very well and improving-and I would like to keep it that way.

It is a dream to be here, although I miss you all so very much. Please kiss the young ones for me and consider allowing Alison to come to Sanditon at some point to visit me. I would cherish time with her! Please write with all the news of Willingden!

With my best love,

Charlotte

At last, she sealed her letters to be posted and rose from her writing table. Mercifully, the rain had stopped, and she considered her daily walk to the sea. "It may be a good time to post my letters and again visit the view from the clifftop," she mused to herself.

Descending the stairs, she called for her bonnet and wrap, and leaving a message for Lady Susan that she would return in a short while, she left with haste to make sure her letters were posted early. As she closed the door and turned to the street, her eyes lit upon two men, one of which was Tom Parker, walking toward Trafalgar House. Her heart leapt up into her throat. "Whoever that man is, he does resemble Mr. Sidney Parker in his walk. But it cannot be him, as he is on his way to Antigua." she thought to herself.

Turning in the direction of the post, she quickened her pace, walking in the opposite direction feeling an urgency to complete her tasks and find her way once again to the coast. The sky did appear to threaten rain.