07

everyone was ecstatic. cheers and screaming could be heard in the field. east high had just made it to semi-finals. for the seniors in the team, it was the last chance to win their final season and graduate with the pride that came with.

ricky couldn't believe it, they had been practicing for a while and all because a certain golden girl had helped him with his grades.

the beginning of the season was hard, the quarterback was distracted and a little hangover sometimes during training and careless about his team.

but she came into the pictures with mint green cupcakes and her little ponytail. he couldn't deny she wished she was standing along his friends to watch the person he was slowly becoming. all thanks to her.

he turned around to see the rest of the team celebrating their big win. it wasn't the finish line but it was a step into that direction. he looked at ej who was spinning gina in his arms laughing and holding each other. seb and los in the bleachers screaming along with ash having fun with the music playing.

and he realized he was alone, in the middle of the field ignoring the rest of the cheerleaders and girlfriends he had. and she was the only thing in her mind.

"ricardo! come here you crazy," they were all gathered together now excited and ready to eat burgers and ice cream.

"hey, quarterback! congrats ricky," cheered gina hugging his side. "it was a pretty damn game guys, congrats !" chipped carlos.

"i'm starving, can we flatter bowen later?" joked ej.

the guys quickly changed in the locker room while gina, ash, and the couple waited outside. they were euphoric and ready to celebrate their big win.

the two main boys got out of the locker room with fresh smiley faces, they said their goodbyes to the coach and the guys whilst walking to the parking lot.

ricky stopped before they decided who was riding with who. the burger place wasn't that far but he had texted someone in the locker room.

"can you guys meet me there? i have to do something first." all their friends exchanged weird looks but no one really dared to ask why.

the guys just jumped into ej's jeep and gina just stayed back.

"curls, when you see her, open her door and compliment her," she smirked pointing to ej who was waiting next to the passenger door. "she's worth it."

ricky just looked at her, that's why she was his best friend. he knew exactly what was happening, and she loved good boy ricky.

"keep them safe gi, and please don't make them embarrass me."

he smiled to himself calming down yet again the nerves in the pit of his stomach.

----

nini caught herself staring at the mirror, she didn't want to look bad or way over the line. but it was a chill night. so she went for a white hoodie and jeans with a long jacket.

it was just ricky anyways, the annoying guy she had to tutor for Yale. but she genuinely enjoyed his company, he made her laugh and forget about her issues for a while.

she was a little nervous and tried to convince her otherwise. she put a little concealer and mascara in hopes of trying to hide her puffy red eyes from all the crying earlier.

then she felt her phone vibrate and a car parked in front of her house. he was here.

she realized the car had been there for a few minutes, and quickly grabbed her purse to go downstairs.

"moms i'm going out to eat," she said passing the living room. "where do you think you're going? shouldn't you be doing the practice tests?" dana insisted. "mom, it's friday, i have a whole weekend to do them."

"let her go today dana, she has a point," carol interrupted, finally taking her daughters side. "but i want you home by 11 max"

"okay, perfect, bye!" she screamed as she got outside her house. she took a big breath after closing the door but something interrupted her moment. none other than richard bowen was opening the car door for her. no one had done this for her, and bowen was the last boy she thought would be a gentleman.

she put herself back together and smirked "what did i do bowen, you opening the door for me?" seemed suspicious to her, but decided to tease him.

"um-, i don't know- being nice, hello to you too, by the way, nini," he said shyly, what was this girl doing to him. he could've sworn something was wrong with him.

"i'm just messing with you ricky," she laughed off and kissed his cheek.

his heart couldn't stop beating, but he remembered she did this to every single one of her friends. he closed the door and quickly got to the other side.

she looked at her, she was texting someone and arranging her hair, her eyes shone in some way he hadn't seen before. "um-, neens, you look really pretty tonight." he mumbled.

she felt her cheeks turn three colors of red and her smile grew ten times wider. "i can't take a compliment but thank you."

"so quarterback, i hear congratulations are in order !" she said trying to change the subject and distract him from her heated cheeks. "you made it to semi! isn't that exciting!"

"yeah, it is," focusing on the road and not saying what he really meant. i wish you were there though. "it was all thanks to you."

"oh please, i never said this, but you're good at it, like really good." he just smiled at the compliment. they were civil.

they were friends. and he couldn't get enough of her. they were growing fonder and closer to each other.

he loved that. and hoped she did as well.

they had a blast, somethings about the way she was careless made her fit right into his group. he knew in no time all of their friends would become one big squad.

nini was on cloud nine, she finally opened herself up, just a little and was meeting incredible people along the way. and the best part, she could spend time with ricky.

ricky was happy. he was getting better.