20

the ride home was extremely quiet. filled with a dense atmosphere and a generic pop song playing on the radio. 

ricky got lost in a million thoughts about what he had said about the finale, the argument over emma's announcement, and the possible dinner later in the family.  he glanced now and then to nini, who kept her hand in her neck, finding comfort, in the now, nonexistent necklace. 

damn it, he thought, it couldn't just be lost, not know with so much meaning. nini's smile was gone, her sweet and gentle expression now erased from her face only reflected what she once before a few months ago. a tiny girl feeling crushed over expectations and broken dreams. 

meanwhile, emma just kept a small talk with her husband, talking about how much the town had changed. 

hesitant, ricky reached for the hand of the girl resting on her tight. he didn't look, but instinctively, grabbed it. she didn't flinch and interlaced her fingers into his. then, nini felt his thumb do little circles in her skin, and he looked at him, focused on the road, with a small smile adorning his face. 

this little interaction wasn't overlooked by her sister, by now, emma was positive he wasn't just a friend. he was more than that, the touches and the way she looked at him. emma had only seen that shine with her grandmother. could her little sister be in love?

maybe, he was the best thing this town could offer. not yale, not new york, not LA, ricky bowen could only be found there, beside her. 

her thoughts were broken by his hand leaving hers, making her realize they were home. both helped emma get settled. 

then when nini had already closed the door and said her goodbyes, emma shrieked and ran out the door screaming she had forgotten something in the car. nini just went upstairs and locked herself in her room, deciding to start planning how she was gonna attend that game. 

"bowen wait," ricky opened the window of his door and faced the big sister. he just nodded giving her permission to speak. 

"cut the crap, i know you like my sister and vice versa. ricky looked at her dumbfounded, trying to choose his next words very carefully. 

"don't say anything, but just answer this question, do you love her," ricky's mind went blank. he had never loved someone, let alone a girl he wasn't even dating. 

then little memories came to his mind, she was his nini, everything about her intoxicated him. and to be honest, he couldn't picture his life without hers. 

he only wanted her, she made him happy. maybe he is in love.

"i think so," ricky simply said after realizing what he truly felt. 

"then, tell her before it's too late." the brunette turned around leaving ricky full of thoughts. he loved nini. 

he truly did.