15

a few days had passed since that night and everything seemed to be back to normal. nini continued tutoring ricky, and started helping him with college applications. 

something inside her felt wrong while doing it, this meant, they would go there separate ways one day. but she figured it was better if pushed the thought behind and enjoyed the time they had left. 

time was starting to accelerate, with spring break, graduation, and the last games of the season, time was slowly slipping away. 

however, the feelings between the two continued to grow, day after the other, both of them grew fonder of each other. they became two peas in a pod, that could no longer be separated. every group hangout, they arrived together; after ricky noticed she walked to school every day, ricky started picking her up in the mornings. 

"stop laughing at me, you psyco" nini laughed at the boy in front of her. they were at ej's house, another friday afternoon, just having fun. 

the rest of the group was in the living room that faced the open kitchen of the house. while ricky and nini were allegedly trying to bake cupcakes. after asking and asking, ricky had finally convinced nini to do the cupcakes with her. it was what had brought them together, and to be honest, what swept him off his feet. 

soft music was blasting in the house, everyone was doing their own thing. they decided to leave the couple alone for a few moments, because well, no one really wanted to third wheel. 

they just seemed happy, bright smiles during a chill afternoon, baking pastries and hanging out. gina, who was cuddled up with her boyfriend on the couch, just looked at both of them. laughter filled their room, they just fit. 

"do you see those two?" she looked up at ej, who was focused on the video game the rest was playing. 

"were we that annoying before getting together is sickening," gina slapped his arm playfully, knowing how well they used to tease each other before they made it official. 

"RICHARD BOWEN!" a loud shriek made the whole group turn around. ricky was now running away from nini who had her face covered in frosting. 

"DON'T MAKE A MESS IN MY KITCHEN CHILDREN" cried ej, while he saw ricky run with all he had. 

"i will get you one-day bowen, and you will regret it," he laughed at the brunette's remark who was trying to remove the frosting with a towel. "you'll see i'll get you back," 

"he's in love oh god it's disgusting seeing him all soft," carlos commented when ricky walked back to the kitchen, apologizing to the girl. 

"and she isn't? i've never seen her so happy," kourt smiled just seeing the "i'm sorry" hug ricky was trying to give, the pout on her face and shiny eyes, she hadn't seen that smile since nini entered high school. 

after a little while, the cupcakes were ready, and the group started eating them as they talked, the sun started to set and the night started to fall. everyone was so focused on the cupcakes, they didn't realize, the two peas had left the kitchen. 

"so this is the spot where i almost killed you uh," nini stood in the backyard where she had drunkenly said things she regretted.  she started unwrapping the cupcake. 

"yeah, and two steps forward is where i had to launch you so you didn't drown," he laughed looking at the girl. "you were too wasted to realize though," he kept laughing. 

she looked beautiful, she always had, her eyes mesmerized him, the golden sparks shone with the last bits of sun rays, illuminating her face in all the right places. even with her soft curls in a messy bun, and her face filled frosting, she was the most beautiful girl, and clearly, the first one who gave him hope. 

"hey psyco, can you maybe stop staring at me like i had cupcake all over my face, thank you," she laughed seeing he was a little too focused on her, and she had started to be a little self-conscious. he looked at his smile, the bright smile she had become addicted, it was as if he was the oxygen she never had, and the first person who made this little town feel like home. 

"well you actually have something in your face," then he saw her eyes widen, and her cheeks redden. he got closer to her, focusing on the small frosting on top of her lip. 

what the hell, he thought.

they were now close, ricky staring at her eyes, and her trying to keep her cool.  their hearts were now beating at the same rhythm, and their brains working a thousand miles per second. 

he finally got close enough to her, and simply said "can i kiss you?" 

before he could respond she crashed her lips together, her hands when up to his curls and she was now on her tippy toes, reaching him. his hands went around her waist, as he felt her soft lips on his mouth. she was just perfect. 

he cut the kiss and laughed looking at her, but she blinked back and kissed him again. 

it hurt, knowing they felt the same, but also knowing they couldn't be together.