-XVII-

Jisung was panting. He was out of breath, and the sun beating down on his back made it harder to concentrate.

Gripping his sword scabbard with his two bandaged hands, he turns, swinging at a nearby tree and repeating the action but on the opposite side.

He raised the sword over his head and attacked the tree in a downward strike, before swiping at its side in a scratchy growl.

He's always watched Goguryeo guards train from different towns. Whether it be a newcomer or a general, he related to their training. But he's also mocked them because of it. Maybe because he was a thief and being a guard was just an unpleasant thought to him.

But here he was, harassing a tree with swings and strikes from his sword scabbard. He imagined the tree was the bulky man he fought the week prior, circling him, growling when he struck again. A sidestep, a step back and a step forward- strike, repeat. It was routine like that and Jisung remembered more and more ways to handle enemies, to befriend his sword further with this conversation.

All for the thought of improving- for the mission he was so determined to complete.

Determined to defeat anyone, determined to protect Minho and all the like.

To revert as a foolish personal guard he once-

"Your stitches will come undone."

Ten feet into the air, Jisung jumps, whipping his body around to point his scabbard at a very smug-looking Minho, standing on the other side of the glade with crossed arms and pursed lips.

Jisung almost groans at the sight of him- he didn't want anyone to see him training, much more Lee Minho. He thought he was secluded enough from the village, that the older couldn't find him- or far enough that he wouldn't bother with Jisung.

Apparently he was wrong- wrong in many things about Minho and his skills.

"This is the first I've ever seen so much effort from you," Minho whistles at him, Jisung rolling his eyes as he continues hacking at the tree. 

Sidestep- a swing, step back, repeat. A sidestep, a swing-

"Why are you training right now? Did you even finish any of your jobs?"

"I have," Jisung replies, peering back at the older. "What about you, shouldn't you be... I don't know... doing something other than just standing there..." He murmured the last part, though Minho still heard it, scoffing and laughing small at Jisung's remark.

Again, Jisung repeated to himself. This time a step back, circling, turn and attack from behind. Right, he remembered how to do it after all. A step back, circling-

"You fight well, you know," Minho pipes up again, Jisung shutting his eyes and shaking his head, pushing his lips together in a tight line. "I don't understand the sudden training."

"I don't understand the sudden questions," Jisung barked back, turning and glaring at the older. He really wanted to be alone at the moment. To train, to get better, to protect him. Why couldn't Minho see that? The one time he wanted to be alone, Minho decides to feed off his misery. 

Maybe this was some sort of karma for every wrongdoing Jisung's done in life. 

"Ouch, so hostile." Minho seemed like he didn't take Jisung very seriously, mocking him with a smile that he frowned at. "Was it that escort that made you feel this way? I mean-  you could've killed him, but... your 'pacifism,' isn't giving you any benefits."

"I'm not a pacifist," Jisung lowered his eyebrows, turning back to the poor tree.

"Careful, that tree might stab you too," Minho sneers, Jisung quirking an eyebrow, the corner of his frown twitching in a small growl.