-XIX-

Jisung admits that being a bandit wasn't all that bad.

Though, it wasn't as cunning as the aspects of thievery, and waiting for wandering merchants was always tedious- disappointing at the least when no one showed up. And it also required lots of luck considering that a jewelry merchant was a huge stretch from a leatherworker. (Even if Minho insists that money was money.)

But it felt gratifying to steal from them. No worries about being caught, no worries about guards catching him, no worries about being ripped off from selling the stolen goods to other merchants. Of course, Jisung still refused to kill them and Minho would only roll his eyes as he did it himself. But it was fine. At least the older didn't force him into anything, and Jisung was grateful for the fact.

"Yah," Jisung jumped when an elbow jabbed his side, perking up with wide eyes at the older beside him. "Show some respect, will you?"

"Oh- Sorry," Jisung stammers, bowing low in front of a tall pile of rocks. "Hello, my name is Han Jisung."

Minho crosses his arms, letting out a small sigh as they stand in silence.

Really, it surprised Jisung that Minho took him here- where his mentor and long-time friend lay just beneath the pile of rocks. Though, he didn't know what else to say- opting to entwine his fingers together as he stared out at the pile of rocks.

Anything Minho did surprised him, actually. He's grown on the younger- asking him to eat before he went out to work, changing his bandages when needed, even coming by after all his chores to help the younger improve his swordsmanship. He taught nothing revolutionary as Jisung proved to know more in terms of unique approaches, just ways to clean up his technique such as and especially his footwork- and how to throw out the "proper" ways to sword fight.

And once in a while, he would ask to spar. Jisung couldn't bring himself to pretend to kill Minho, which only counted as a loss (or so he says). But when Minho won in terms of his own skill, Jisung would blame it on his training with the best swordsmen in Baekje when he was young.

Really, if Jisung doesn't want to get stabbed, he'd have to fight dirty. It meant to use approaches no one would really use- approaches that would be considered "cheating," or "dishonorable."

But Minho taught that there wasn't "cheating" or playing by the rules in fights. It was life or death and they had to pick one.

"Sunmi was almost like a mother to me," The bandit starts, smiling fondly at the rocks before shrugging. "She taught me how to use a bow- and I remember getting my calves struck because I once lost Soonie. Soonie was some mare I stole from the first time Sunmi took me out to steal."

"How did she find you?" Jisung tilts his head, Minho glancing at him before taking a breath. 

"Well, after passing by quite a few towns, I was practically starving to death. And I thought it was over for me then. I decided to just give up. Until Sunmi found me unconscious by the creek and took me back to her village. She taught me things not even my own parents did. Not the scholars, or the guards. I learned and survived through her- until..."

Really, Jisung felt bad that the person closest to Minho passed. Even when he wasn't the one who killed her, Jisung considered himself to be a playing factor. The younger was the one threatening Minho with a sword. She had tried to save Minho from the thief only to end up dying herself.

And he felt guilty for it- almost like an overwhelming sense of deja vu.

"She was harsh on me, but we still cared for each other. I even told her that you three looked too armed to be merchants. But I trusted her so I didn't try to stop her. I should've- and I realized my mistake then."