-XXXI-

For a moment, Minho believed that he was truly dead- that he's finally bitten the dust after avoiding death for so long.

His luck had run out, Sunmi's dead, he and Jisung had been captured. And to think that he'd not anger one royal family, but two. What next? Will Goguryeo suddenly find out about them too?

But no, Minho didn't want to give his life up yet. His luck may have run out, but his motivation still hadn't. Honestly, fuck fate or luck or whatever superstitious bullshit every other individual believed in. Fate had done nothing but fuck him over time and time again. His luck had run out years ago. And all he's done is fight for himself in this dark jungle. And you know what? Being alive for this long was a huge 'fuck you' to fate.

But when Jisung thought about fighting all those guards back in the town, Minho almost punched him for it.

Why would the thief be so willing to throw his life away like that? For the mere thought of protecting Minho? Jisung once said it might be fate that kept them together, he almost believed it (if fate was willing to forgive him). But he shouldn't be so... What was it? Imprudent?

Either way, Minho was glad that the younger was beside him, appreciating his presence when they were being carted away.

Minho could still almost feel the shorter's warmth against his cheek.

But then again...

Jisung had said he caused the crown prince's death. The Silla crown prince? Kim Woojin was it- the one announced assassinated seven years ago when Sunmi barely recognized Minho as an adult.

Minho remembered when he heard the news back then. He was in the rice paddies when he overheard some women talking about the death of the crown prince- saying that an assassin plotted to kill him, murmuring that he was his trusted best friend.

While there was an official letter written and pinned to the village news board, no one can actually read it besides a few of the villagers (And Minho, but he didn't want to be caught up in anything regarding royalty). So it was all a rumor to them still, especially when the letter disclosed no information besides his sudden death.

But was that Jisung? Was Jisung the assassin?

Minho didn't care much then, but as a supposed crown prince, he understood all the commotion Silla produced because of the sudden news. Their supposed future king was dead- and without a new heir, who would lead Silla to that promised future?

Sunmi told him that the crown prince had it coming- that he was irresponsible for not taking more precautions. Minho only told her that a prince wouldn't need to take so many precautions inside a fortified palace, but still felt for their prince's death.

But to hear it from Jisung himself- he had killed the crown prince? Was it the reason for his refusal to kill anyone? Was he so scarred from the memory that barely being provoked to kill had him throwing fits?

Even so, if he had some part in killing the crown prince, what was his reasoning to protect Minho? He was a crown prince as well, the same as Kim Woojin.

Maybe he felt guilty? And that protecting someone close to the status of his previous life was a way to redeem himself.

Minho wanted to tell him, "You don't need to redeem yourself," or "Surely, it wasn't all your fault?"

He knew Jisung would deny such things- he's known the thief long enough that he was stubborn in things like this. And that the younger was just wasting his life away pursuing Minho.

Not that Minho didn't appreciate his presence, though...

Blinking his eyes open, Minho stared up at the bright sky above, squinting when the sun spilled from between the trees and spotted his face. He heard the crackling of fire nearby and the soft nickers of horses, smelling the sweet spring grass and the aroma of a meal dancing in the air.