-XXXIII-

"How do you feel?"

"Terrible."

"I think it's a pleasant day too. Are you excited to go back to Baekje?"

"No."

"I ate fine this morning, thanks for asking."

Chan listened to the small conversation between Hyunjin and Minho behind him and Changbin, relaxing when the two didn't take it any further and get into another fight. The older was eerily calm and quiet throughout their entire journey, only speaking when Chan or mostly Hyunjin had something to say such as questions about dinner or night-watch. The man didn't try to run- mostly due to his injuries, but Chan knew that the prince was stubborn (both of them were) so he should've attempted to escape by now.

But Minho seemed like he couldn't get along with anyone. And to think that Chan had to take care of enough children. To make matters worse, Hyunjin seemed to love teasing him too- honestly, Chan believed that the children back in Ungjin were tamer than the two beasts behind him.

Chan was glad that he was the one tending to Minho's injuries- he wouldn't- and didn't want to know what would happen between the two if Hyunjin volunteered. One of them would end up injured- dead, maybe.

But their personalities clashed so much that the conversation came to Chan as a bit of a shock.

"How long until we get to Baekje?" Minho questions, Changbin shrugging. Those two have talked little. Maybe after Changbin's bluntness, Minho thought it'd be a wonderful idea to keep from resisting the older anymore. And for good reason, too. If Changbin said he'll tie up Minho again, he'll do it. Yongbok wasn't here to stop him, and honestly, they were all dying to return to Baekje.

Chan wasn't the one to complain about any mission (especially when he has to take care of the army every single fucking day) but this might be the worst mission he's ever been on. Every single time there was an upside or even a hint of luck, everything turns out like shit.

"To the border, maybe a week. To Ungjin, at least a week and a half."

"I can't wait to get out of Silla." Chan hears Hyunjin stretch, cracking his fingers as his horse let out a small nicker. "I can't believe you lived in that village actually- shouldn't you be... a nobleman at least."

Minho didn't reply, and Chan could already see the glare he gave the younger. He wanted to turn around and maybe extinguish the conversation before it kindled. But decided that Minho would be mature enough to keep from kicking Hyunjin off the horse- wait, is he?

"How was it?" Minho murmurs, the long-haired guard letting out a small squeak of surprise. "The village, I mean." 

That might be the most Minho's said in days. It surprised even Changbin, Chan glancing at him as he frowned and nodding to himself. The Baekje guard was also taking an interest in their conversation. He doesn't know- maybe there was interest in a certain conversation that could end up in a fight. There was that edge that will surely spice up their bland journey back home. Not that Chan was instigating the fight!

"Burned down. I don't think any of the buildings survived. But at least the crops didn't die," Hyunjin answers, Minho nodding with a small, affirmed hum. "But those villagers were assholes. Not to mention that one guy who tried to kill us and ran us- Nevermind-"

Minho sighs, relieving Hyunjin of his glare.

"It's awful to think about what had happened to the village." he murmurs, staring down at his saddle, surely reliving the memories he spent in his long-considered home. "They're good people."

"Why didn't you return? Everyone else did."

"I just wanted some time to think."

"With Jisung?"