-XL-

"Lee Minho, I want you to take care of your brother and the palace as you ascend to the throne."

He didn't understand why his mother was leaving so soon, so suddenly? She seemed happy with their father, the king. She seemed happy taking care of them, even if it was the maids' jobs. She seemed happy being the queen, even if she left her past life behind to live in the palace.

So why was she leaving?

"Royal mother-"

"Minho, my dear Minho, my son," she mutters, stuffing all of her things into a bundle and tying the rag it laid on into a knot. "You're not supposed to see me like this. To see your mother so miserable."

She didn't think of saying goodbye? If Minho hadn't come to see her, she would've left.

"But I need to go."

She was only planning to leave him and Yongbok to the care of a king she said she hated.

"You're too young to know why. But-"

Minho wanted to yell. To get angry, to demand an answer from his mother. Why was she suddenly leaving them? Did she not love them? He watched as she crouched in front of Minho, taking his small hands into hers and smiling small. She pressed a kiss to the young prince's forehead.

"Know that you and Yongbok aren't the reason."

Then does that mean that all of her smiles were fake? Were all those jokes and loving nothings a part of her facade? Did she only stick around until Minho was old enough to take care of his brother?

"I'm sorry, Minho. Can you ready a horse for me?"

And Minho did. Without complaint, without another word. He didn't have enough heart to question his mother. He knew his father would be against it, and Yongbok could barely even speak- there was no way he could remember their mother.

And it wasn't until years later that Minho could see some sort of reason his mother left these magnificent palace gates. Even so, he didn't know the full story- he knew there was some hidden contempt from his mother that never surfaced but bubbled within her. Though he never knew why.

But walking through the familiar gates to the town, he acknowledged the reasons for his return. It wasn't for his mother or revenge upon his father. It wasn't for nostalgic satisfaction or for his own gain. It was for Yongbok. For all the shit he's been through- caused by their mother, their father- hell, even Minho himself.

Minho was 12 years too late for this. He should've taken Yongbok to Silla with him- should've asked Chan's father for one more favor instead of thinking solely for himself.

The town was as Minho remembered it. It was loud- almost as glamorous as Soraebol if not more. Ungjin was where the nobles and the desired commoners lived. Though Minho was never allowed to explore the place when he was young, save for a parade or two dedicated to the king.

Everyone thought he was dead because of some accident. No one knew the truth except for Yongbok and Minho. Those who did either died over the years or forced to keep their mouth shut. It was dangerous to speak up, and people knew that.

But today, he wanted to show everyone in the palace- and the kingdom, that the king had been lying to them. Saying that Minho was dead because of some freak accident. Not because he tried to kill his own son.

And even with this excitement, he hesitates when they reach the palace's gates.

Chan and Changbin were leading the way, Jisung to his left and Hyunjin to his right. They left Jeongin back at Changbin's hut, the poor assassin pleading that they not take him back to the palace.