-XXVII-

"Your highness. Your father would like to see you."

Minho knew what this was about. He accepted his fate then, knew of the consequences- yet he didn't move. Only stared at the guard with his younger brother at his side.

He could feel Yongbok's eyes on him, and it made him snap out of his hesitance. Turning to the freckled prince, his heart wrenched when dark eyes were wide on him.

No, their father didn't suffer from a disease, Minho wanted to say to him. But he couldn't. Yongbok was still too young- the best Minho could do was to hide the fact until he was old enough. He didn't want to burden the younger- he didn't want the younger to search for the answer either, as it would only put him in danger as Minho did to himself. Curiosity was a bitch, and he only wished that Yongbok doesn't pursue the truth any more once he tastes even a hint.

"Put the fish back in the water- I'll be back okay?" Minho smiles small, nodding to the younger prince. Minho didn't want to let go of his brother- but his father was waiting. "Wait for me here. We'll play with some kites when I come back."

It was still too early for Minho to leave Yongbok. The younger needed him, but all Minho could do was give him a fake promise.

Minho nods to the guard, the other turning on his heel and walking down the open corridor. Glancing back, Minho knew that was the last image of Yongbok he'll see: the young freckled prince hunched over the pond, carefully settling the fish into the water just as his brother instructed, waiting for him to come back with a fake promise of kites.

But he had to stay strong- look strong for his brother. If he faltered now, his brother would too. And he needed Yongbok to stay strong, to grow up without another thought of Minho. To take the throne for himself once he was of age.

Minho glanced up as the guard gestures to the royal office- hearing quiet murmurs from behind the doors.

He enters the office- halting when he felt the king's heavy gaze on him. Few of the officials were there, their murmurs dying down to nothing as they noticed Minho's presence.

He tried to stand tall; he did. But with the officials and especially the king staring down at him like that... Minho was nothing but a child in their eyes. A child thrown at the sight of a lion, the officials- vultures waiting for their next meal.

"You wanted to see me?" Minho questions, the officials nodding to the king before turning their heads toward Minho.

"The Queen," The king started. "I know what you two were planning."

Minho didn't think his father would find out so quickly. He knew he had to buy his mother time, but for him to say it so forthright... Was it to cause a reaction in Minho?

"Where is she now?" He speaks out, Minho narrowing his eyes at the king above him.

"I don't know." Minho blinks when the king slams his fist against the armrest, glancing towards the officials beside Minho.

"Don't you dare lie to me, boy," he hisses, Minho shaking his head.

"I'm certain- I don't know where she is by now."

"You knew she was going to pay an assassin to kill me," the king points an accusing finger at Minho, the young prince clenching and unclenching his fists. "Everything I've given you two... This his how you repay me?"

Of course Minho knew. Minho knew of the schemes, the plan. He knew his mother was trying to rebel against the king- though no thanks to his own mother. He had to dig for himself. He knew he had to pick one of his parents, the king or queen- the overbearing tyrant or his family.