-XXI-

Fishing. Jisung's never fished before, much more touch a fishing rod. Yet here he was, treading behind Minho and holding all of their necessities for fishing. With two fishing rods tucked under one arm and a basket in the other, he really tried to walk slower than he usually would, dreading to go with the older. Though he could never really stay far from Minho, taking precautions to protect him.

See, what if Silla guards finally find them? Or imagine if a wolf suddenly courses toward them- what would happen then? Surely, Minho would be done for. Though Jisung reminded himself he promised to protect the older, much to his sarcasm and denial- and for that Jisung kept himself from straying too far.

Though that did not excuse Minho shoving all of their fishing needs to Jisung.

Either way, they were walking further and further from the village, walking toward the nearest river in the pasture, and for a second, Jisung ran up to Minho, glancing back toward the direction they came from.

Jisung opens his mouth to ask, but Minho turns to him, letting out a huff of a laugh.

"For a second, I thought you died back there," he hums, Jisung knitting his eyebrows together. "Walk faster, will you? It'll rain soon."

"Why are we going so far?" He questions, pointing back toward the village. "Shouldn't we go... back?"

"That pond isn't great for fishing," Minho shrugs, gesturing to the river ahead. "Over there. That's where I usually go."

"But- I... I don't know how to fish-"

"I'll teach you then," Minho takes a fishing rod from Jisung, nodding before running off toward the creek. Jisung runs after him, screeching to a halt as to keep from running into Minho and send them both toppling into the water. "It's quite easy, actually."

"Right- right," Jisung huffs as he took a seat next to Minho by the riverbank, glancing into the water. He's seen Yongbok fish before and he's pretty sure the young prince could do it with his eyes closed. How hard could it be?

Settling his sword scabbard onto the grass, Jisung leans closer to Minho as the older picks out bait from a small pouch he brought with him.

"Just attach it to the hook and-" Minho tilts the fishing rod behind his shoulder before casting the line into the water, glancing to the younger beside him with a nod and a smile.

"Uh- okay..." Minho was a weird individual to Jisung. This bandit, this king- he was so fierce and stern whenever he held a sword. When Jisung first met him he fought like a feral tiger, starved and roaring at any nearby prey to eat.

But by the river, he looked so calm and bright- a contrast to the clouds rolling about. While Minho intrigued Jisung, he worried more about the weather for later. It looked like a calm sprinkle, but by the minute, the clouds seemed to grow angrier. Even so, he did as Minho said, casting the line into the creek and looking expectantly at the older. But Minho only nodded to him, leaning back onto his palms and shutting his eyes.

Jisung thought he could describe the bandit in one word. Though it seemed harder that he thought as he spent more time with him. Minho was exciting, unpredictable- he understood and followed the laws to surviving and that made him as fierce as he was. He was caring to the people he knew, merciless to the ones he didn't. And even when he was bound or ready to die, he still fought.

Jisung considered that being exiled from Baekje by his family would shatter him, but it instead strengthened him into what he was- what he is now.

And while Jisung understood this all from observing the older, he still couldn't pinpoint what he was. Not just his identity but his life, his purpose.