Chapter 13

Lilly's POV:

I was too afraid to sleep. Him staring at me like that. Dylan had had his eyes trained on my face for more than 3 hours now. He sat on the edge of his bed, I sat on the floor. Upon hearing that I would no longer be getting my own room, but sleeping on the floor of Dylan's, I had shamelessly cried, but now I was out of tears and was fighting to keep my eyes open. Dylan's knees were tense like he would jump on me any second, but his eyes were unfocused, like he was looking through me.

I thought about Richard and his promise to get me out. For some reason I felt that even if he somehow did manage to get me past Dylan's protective violence, what was to stop him from coming after me again? Or my family? I would have to get out of the country at least... Maybe change my name, create a fake identity... regardless my life would never be the same again. And what would happen to Richard? He said he couldn't be hurt by his brother but that was rather hard to believe. Dylan was merciless, a monster.

"Lilly?" I was jerked out of my thoughts by Dylan's quiet voice. I looked at him to see his eyes had refocused on me.

"Lilly, I need you to tell me something," he said softly. Hearing him speak like this frightened me more than if he had yelled. I just looked at him. He raised his eyebrows expectantly.
"Yes?" I whispered.

"What color are Richards eyes?" He asked quietly. what a strange question.

"His eyes..? You're his brother don't you-"

"Answer the question," he hissed. I flinched.

"They change." I said quietly.

"Explain." he demanded. I took a breath, hoping I wasn't saying the wrong thing.

"Sometimes they're grey... sometimes they're green." I stated quietly. Dylan uttered a terrifying growl from his throat. He stood up quickly and I cringed back into the wall. Suddenly he was throwing chairs, tables, glasses, anything he could find in his room. He looked insane. I covered my head and wrapped myself in a ball to gain any protection from this monster that I could get.

"SHELBY!" He screamed. Silence.
"SHELBY!" He said louder. A young girl opened the door. I mean young. like 13 years old.

"Master." she said. There was something different about this girl. She didn't seem remotely afraid of Dylan. She was clearly human, but yet she was completely calm.

"Shelby I need you to tell me something, and be honest." he said, his eyes turned to mine.

"What is it?" She asked, sounding almost bored.

"Should I kill this girl?" He asked. My breath caught in my throat. My heart picked up its frantic beating. My eyes flickered to the girl then back to Dylan.

"Why do you want to kill her?" She asked as if she were asking about the weather.

"Richard is falling in love with her. His humanity is coming out. if he gains his humanity, his empathy, then he will leave. Our kingdom will lose a valuable general, a beloved prince, and I will lose a brother. I've been trying to keep him from her, but he seems to find a way around me almost every time." Dylan explained. he seemed agitated. And love? I inwardly shook myself. Richard could not be in love with me... No way. Dylan must be exaggerating...

"And why do you want her alive?" Shelby asked.

Dylan looked me up and down, then smiled a purely evil smile.

"She's fun to play with." he said. "I like her defiance, and she would be a wonderful prize to show my friends at the ball. Her blood is devine, even Richard admits to it, and you know how picky he is." Dylan was quiet for a moment.

"Maybe you could kill her after the ball." Shelby said. My heart seemed to stop. I looked at Shelby, pleading with my eyes. She looked back at me, utterly indifferent.

"I could, but the ball is 7 months away, who knows how close Richard could get to her by then. I can't babysit her all day, he's bound to find a way to get to her at times." Dylan said.

The next two words from Shelby's mouth ruined my life.

"Train her."