It's her time

Edward's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I knew I had to be careful. One move from one of them and my head would be in their proud hands. They didn’t move. Instead Victoria spoke.

“Why are your eyes amber?”

“It doesn’t matter, I’ll be dead soon, right?” I spat through my teeth.

She acted surprised and put her hands up as if she’d just been caught by the police. “Hey, I’m just wondering. No harm intended.”

Ugh. What’s the harm? They’d figure out that I’m weaker than them the instant the fight started. “I survive on animal blood.”

She frowned. “That’s an option?” She seemed to think out it for a second, “hm. Oh well, an interesting fact for the day. I still prefer to stick to humans, they’re just so tasty.

James had remained still.

(A/N: bear with me here, I am not good at describing fights so just picture the fight he had with Victoria and riley in eclipse just without bella cutting herself with the rock and james is replacing riley)

Victoria had painted a very clear, a too clear, picture in her mind of her sucking the life out of the woman I love. My lips hardened into a thin line of anger as I tried to contain my temper because otherwise she might have caught on to my new ability. With my eyes squeezed shut, I attempted to trap the rage back into my body. I was almost too late to duck out the way when I realized that, while I was distracted, James had locked his arms around my head and I made a good effort to wriggle out of it but I felt like a bug in mud. Lucky Bella and I said our goodbyes. Where was Victoria? I suddenly wondered. I didn’t have time to spare to think about that. I was in a head lock with a vampire that was stronger than me and I knew I had to survive this otherwise there was no hope in the world for her. Then he started picturing what it would be like to taste her blood and my rage boiled to the surface again. With his forearm tight under my chin, I grabbed his fist and twisted it with all my strength and I heard a loud crack. I fell forward and turned around to see James on the ground writhing in pain, his arm laying limp on the ground next to him.

I heard a sound of tearing fabric followed by a horrified scream that I knew came from Bella. I whipped my head up from where James was to see that Victoria had shredded the tent to large pieces and was crouching in a hunting position, ready to strike, ready to kill her prey, ready to kill Bella. I had to think fast. Victoria hadn’t touched Bella yet so I took the advantage of crushing James’ chest but it was too late. Victoria had decided to torture her instead of making her death simple and painless. I heard her bones crack one after the other and her screams followed instantly. That was my breaking point. I’d had enough. In a second I had ripped James’ head off and pulled Victoria off of Bella. Her body was now limp and covered in blood, her eyes drooped shut. The red headed woman was running toward the river. I had to end this. I ran after her and jumped until my feet were hanging just above her head. Then I descended on her shoulders and we plunged down to the ground with my feet on her shoulder blades, she was face down and struggling. I took her out spread arms and pulled them backwards to rip them off, then her head.

I ran back to Bella. I had to hold my breath to make myself safe for her. Some of her bones had even broken the skin. I knew the reality of this situation. She wasn’t going to make it back to the house even if I carried her at full speed. I had to bite her and begin the transformation and I didn’t have time to prepare for the fact that I might not be able to stop if I catch a taste of my lovers blood, she would surely be dead if I didn’t change her right here right now. I curled my hand around the back of her neck and sat her up half way, I leant in to whisper in her ear “I love you” one more time just in case she could hear me. Then I moved my lips down to her bloody neck where I pulled my lips away from my razor sharp teeth and pressed them into her neck and bite her delicate skin. Like robot, automatically, her back arched like she was in a circus act and was being held in the air by her partner’s hand pressing against the small of her back.

I had to get her back to Carlisle and fast. He’ll know what to do. I picked her up in my arms and raced back to the house at full speed and reached the door in no time at all.

“Carlisle!” I screamed.

I snatched the handle in my hand from under her body and almost pulled the door off its hinge. I wouldn’t have cared.

“Edward! What is it? I smell blo –“Carlisle stared but pulled up short when he saw the scene in front of him. Then he unfroze. “Bring her upstairs where all my equipment is, quickly, son.” And he was off in a blur.

I followed.

On the second floor, he had a room that was set up as a hospital room so I laid Bella on the white bed that wouldn’t be so white soon.

“What happened?” He asked in a rush.

“Two vampires named Victoria and James came and attacked. James distracted me while Victoria broke Bella’s bones and I killed them both. I knew she was too badly injured to make it back here alive so I had to . . . bite her.” I whispered the last few words, ashamed of myself.

His face tuned sympathetic. “Oh, Edward, are you okay?”

He’s concerned about me when Bella’s shaking through the change across the room?

“Yes, I am completely fine; it’s Bella that needs us. Help her Carlisle please.” I sobbed.

“Edward I can’t. What’s done is done, all that’s left to do is wait till she’s through it. I’m sorry.”

So that’s what we did for the three days. We waited. Well, I waited while the rest of the family were informed by Carlisle of what’s happened and they went about their day to day business in a fairly normal fashion and I sat in one spot staring at Bella till she opened her eyes.

“Carlisle, she’s awake,” I said in a calm voice so I didn’t freak her out.

He was net to me in a fraction of a second. Then he stepped forward to her side.

“Bella?” He asked, cautious.

Her hand automatically flew up to clutch her throat. She was thirsty and she was going to try and jump out the window if there was any sign of a scent of humans in the area. We needed Jasper and Emmett. But they were already standing next to me in a slight crouch, ready to pounce. She whipped up in a blur and all four of us were in front of her in another blur. I stood directly in front of her with my hands on her shoulders and my eyes level with hers.

“Bella, I know you’re disoriented right now but if you could just focus on what I’m saying. You have to hunt to get the burning sensation out of your throat. Do you hear me?” I begged.

Nothing. She just stared at me.

“Bella I know you must be confu –“ she interrupted me.

“You’re so beautiful. I never noticed how much before,” she murmured.

I smiled, relieved. “You’re incredibly beautiful too.”

She reached up and stroked my check, her fingers like silk against my new skin. For an immeasurable amount of time she stared, mesmerized by my features that would have looked slightly different now, more defined. We were getting distracted.

“Bella, we have to hunt but don’t worry I’ll teach you but it’s not safe for you to have an intense burning in your throat, okay,” I asked.

She blinked herself back to reality. “Um, yes, okay. Let’s go.”

So I took her hand in mine and we went on our first hunting trip.