Chapter Three

Walking down the platform to the train held a different feeling then it use to. Moody, Tonks, and Kingsley were all walking us through as a precaution. I felt a bit anxious, giving me a slight headache from all the worrying. I had both twins on either side of me, almost like my own personal guards, which I appreciate. They had told me that they don't want what happened last year to happen again, which I understand.

We step on board a few minutes before the whistle would blow and we'd be on our way to Hogwarts. Before I stepped on, I felt as if someone was looking at me. I look down the platform, and see someone who wasn't walking around like everyone else was, they only stood still, staring. As people stopped walking in front of them, I was able to see that it was a boy.

Not someone I immediately recognized, not until I thought of a memory that was deep in my mind. Something I had wanted to forget. Tom Riddle. Voldemort. I blink and he was gone. I quickly step on to the train. He wasn't there. No, I'm just freaking myself out over nothing.

-----------------

Arriving at Hogwarts, I had decided to wait for Harry and the others by the carriages, telling the twins to go ahead with Lee Jordan. They had arrived, Neville trailing behind them. "Finally, could you have taken any longer." I complain, walking up to them as a group of Ravenclaws, including Cho Chang, which her and Harry were staring at one another, was riding away.

"Hey guys." Neville greets once he had caught up, carrying a plant. 

"Hey Neville." Hermione and I greet as we wait for another carriage to arrive.

We look to see one has pulled up, "What is it?" Harry asks us, looking at the carriage stunned.

"What's what?" Ron questions Harry as we look at the carriage.

"That. Pulling the carriage." Harry explains what he was referring to.

I look into the empty space , confused on what he was looking at. "Nothing's pulling the carriage, Harry. It's pulling itself--like always." I explains confused.

I place my hand on his shoulder as comfort, I close my eyes suddenly feeling a random pain in my head, than look back to the carriage, eyes wide now. Dark Skeletal Horses were there, in fact tied to the carriage, pulling them. "Harry... are you seeing skeleton horses?" I ask his quietly, not to alarm the others.

Harry looks at me surprised, "You see them too?" he asks whispering like me.

I glance at him, "I didn't before, but now I do..." I explain confused as to how that has happened. I let go of Harry, and the horses fade away before becoming invisible again. "They're gone." I tell him shocked.

Harry looks between me and the horses confused. The others begin to walk towards the carriage, I follow quickly. I notice Luna sitting in the carriage reading her magazine, bringing a smile to my face. I speed up to sit next to her. "You're not going mad." she speaks up as Harry continues to just stare into the air where the horses were.

She pulls down her copy of the quibbler, as I take my seat, the others slowly walking around. "I see them too. You're just as sane as I am." she tells Harry.

The others walk around and take a seat. Ron sits on the other side of me as Harry sits across from me. "Everyone this is Luna Lovegood. My roommate." I introduce happily.

Everyone looks rather uncomfortable, not saying a word. I glare at them, signally for someone to be nice, "What an interesting necklace." Hermione comments, trying to make conversation as we wait for the carriage to move.

Luna looks down at her necklace, "It's a charm, actually. Keeps away the nargles." she explains to them.

I give her a soft smile, "Has it been working?" I ask her.

She returns the smile, looking my way, "So far." she says simply. "Hungry, I hope there's pudding." Luna comments, and we begin our way to the castle.

"What's a nargle?" Ron whisper asks Hermione who sat across from him.

"No idea." she whispers back.

-------------------------------------------

We all sit in the great hall after the sorting, I sit next to Luna. Dumbledore stood at the podium, "...We have two changes in staffing this year. We are pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly- Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave. We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher--Professor Dolores Umbridge. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying good luck, Professor. As usual, our Caretaker Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you--" Dumbledore starts his speech, but was interrupted by a 'hem hem'.

Dumbledore stops, and looks back towards Umbridge, who was covered head to toe in pink. she stood and began to to walk towards the podium. Dumbledore steps back allowing her to speak, "Thank you Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright happy faces smiling up at me..." she starts, pausing looking around, "I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends." she continues, with an unnerving smile on her face.

She pulls out a piece of parchment and begins to read from it, "The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. The task of passing down the ancient skills must be undertaken with the utmost seriousness. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school progress for progress's sake must be discouraged. A balance then, between old and new, between permanence and change,  between tradition and innovation." she pauses, almost seeming like she was done, "--Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected--and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."  she finishes, making me uncomfortable with the way she said the last sentence.

Dumbledore slowly applauded, very few others joined in as she walks back to her seat. "Thank you Professor Umbridge; that was most...illuminating. As I was saying, Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you all that magic is not permitted in corridors between classes, nor are any number of other things, all of which can be checked on the extensive list now fastened to Mr. Filch's office door. First-years ought to know that the Forest in the grounds is out-of-bounds to students--and a few of our older students ought to know by now, too. Tryouts for the house Quidditch teams will take place on the first weekend of next month." Dumbledore continues on with his normal speech.

__________________________
1131 words

Hope you enjoy!!

Yay we're back at Hogwarts may the chaos begin! 5th year woohoo!

Vote

Comment

Share

Lots of luv~ snowflake