Chapter Four

Getting back to classes felt good and normal. I sat beside Hermione in our D.A.D.A class, while the boys sat at the table across the way on Hermione's left. The class was buzzing with excitement, a charmed paper swallow bird was flying about, many kids trying to mess with it as it flew. The noise of the room died down once the swallow was burned to stop, landing on the Patil twins desk. I look around to see in the back of the room, Umbridge stood in all her pink glory, lowering her wand.

"Good morning children." she greets us, causing the whole room to look towards her. She uses her wand to write on the chalkboard, "Ordinary. Wizarding. Level. Examinations. O.. W.. L's" she says, as she writes on the board as she goes to the front of the room.

She turns to the class, "--more commonly known as OWLS. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be... severe." she says ominously. With a wave of her wand, books began to be passed out table by table to us.

As we receive our books the title reads, 'Dark arts defense: Basic for beginners', Hermione and I share a confused glance, "Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you will be pleased to know that from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic." she explains.

Hermione was quick to raise her hand as she flips through the book. "Yes." Umbridge says to her.

"There's nothing in here about actually using defensive spells." Hermione brings up, causing me to begin to flip through the book as well, seeing that she was right.

"Using spells? I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom." Umbridge replies with a high pitch laugh.

"We're not going to use magic?" Ron questions confused with her methods, as was I.

"You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way..." Umbridge says to the class as a whole.

"What use is that? If we're going to be attacked it won't be "risk free--"" Harry tries to question, but is cut off before he can finish.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." she snaps, telling the whole class, before giving the class her unnerving fake nice smile. "It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations--which, after all, is what school is all about." she explain.

"And how's theory's supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry questions, not raising his hand, almost fed up with her already.

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?" she replies, her nice facade slowly falling.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe Lord Voldemort?" Harry sasses, causing me to sigh. Really Harry, on the first day? The room fell in a silence, as Umbridge seemed almost taken back, she tries to give the class a reassuring smile.

"Now let me make this quite plain. You have been told that a certain Dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie." she tells everyone calmly as she walks between the rows of desks.

"It's not a lie. I saw him, I fought him--" Harry was quick to tell her, causing her to stop walking as she was next to his desk.

"Detention, Mr. Potter." she tells him, walking back to the front.

"So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord? Or-or that my sister was attacked by no one." Harry snaps at her.

My eyes widen and turn to look at Harry as if he was crazy. "Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident-" Umbridge tries to tell him, but Harry stops her before she can continue.