Chapter 2

Snape was no longer teaching Potions. A new Professor, Slughorn, who use to work here many years ago, was the new potions professor. Snape was the new Professor for Defense Against the Dark Arts. This was already starting to be an interesting year. 

I was in a morning potions class with many other student. Ron and Harry weren't in this class. Hermione told me that they didn't want to take another potions class this year. Understandable so, they aren't the best at it. 

As we listen to Slughorn ramble on about what we will be learning this year, and how his class works, and how we should strive for the best because of his great rewards. The doors to his class open and in walk Harry and Ron.

"Harry m'boy! I was beginning to worry! And I see we've brought someone with us." Slughorn says when to looked to the door.

"Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead awful at Potions, a menace actually, so I probably should just be going.." Ron says, trying to back out but Harry stops him.

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Right then, get your books out." Slughorn tells them, turning back to the class.

"Um, sorry, sir, but I haven't got my book yet, nor's Ron." Harry tells him.

Slughorn doesn't seem bothered by the statement. "Not to worry. You can get what you need from the cupboard." Slughorn tells them, pointing to a cupboard near the door. Then looks back to us again. "As I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas on what these might be?" He asks us.

Hermione and I raise our hands. Slughorn takes a second before pointing to Hermione. "Yes, miss.." he says.

"Granger, sir." she says before walking up to the table that held different cauldrons full of potions. "That one there is Veritaserum, also known as truth telling serum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion, terrible tricky to make. And that one is Amortentia! The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person, according to what attracts them. For example, I smell freshly mown grass and new parchment and spearmint toothpaste..." Hermione explains, fading off in the end walking back over to me a bit embarrassed.

The vapors from the love potion was very strong, I could smell, what grass smells like after rain, pine, and vanilla. "Now Amortentia doesn't create actual love, of course. That's impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. For that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." Slughorn explains, before placing a lid over the cauldron, blocking the vapors. I blink and realize that me, along with a few other girls had been walking closer to the love potion. 

I step back to my place next Hermione. "Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one." Katie Bell points out, breaking the silence, pointing to a small sealed vial on the desk in a holder.

Slughorn turns to the vial, "Ah, yes.." He says, going to the holder and remove it from the holder, "What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly referred to as -" Slughorn explains, but I interrupt.

"Liquid Luck." I say amazed that he had one.

"Yes, miss..?" Slughorn starts.

"Potter." I finish for him.

He gives me an amazed look, "Miss Potter." he says with a nod, pausing before going back to explain. "Desperately tricky to make. Disastrous should you get it wrong. But brewed correctly, as this has been, it has remarkable powers. One sip and you will find that all your endeavors succeed... at least until the effects wear off." He explains.

He holds up the vial for all of us to see, "So. This is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck... to the student who, in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death," As those words leave his mouth I tense. I grip my text book tighter, the scar on my upper right arm much more aware to me.  "the recipe for which can be found on page ten of your textbook." Slughorn tells us, many students around me flipping their textbooks, I remain still.

"You should know that in all the years of my previous tenure at Hogwarts, not once did a student brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. In any event -- good luck. Let the brewing commence." Slughorn says and everyone began to go around the room, gathering supplies and going to their seats.

"Hey." Hermione whispers, her hand on my upper arm, I flinch and look back towards her. "Are you okay?" she asks, guiding me to my seat near hers.

"Yeah. Yeah, I was just, remembering something. Uh, let's try and make this potion." I brush it off, going to grab the ingredients. I hear her follow after me.

"Aren't you going to check your book for what you need?" she questions, her book in her hand, as she looked from it to me.

I shake my head, "No need. I have it all in here." I tell her pointing to my head, then grabbing what I need, leaving her to check her list as I go back to my seat. I grab my cauldron and another spare cauldron that was stored in this room.

I start with the antidote for the living death before starting on the living death. Not particularly bothered to win the liquid luck. "What are you doing? That's not the right potion?" Hermione questions, sounding a bit stressed. 

"I'm making an antidote in case something bad happens. I'll make the other in a second." I explain to her.

"But that's not-" Hermione tries to tell me but I stop her.

"Hermione. You haven't been at the end of the Draught of Living Death. You want to wake up, but you can't. And when you do wake up, you don't feel like yourself the longer you're asleep. So I'm being precautious as to not let anyone else go through that." I explain to her, a bit more aggressively then I probably should have.

She just nods and looks back to her potion. I sigh, "It's very thoughtful of you Miss Potter." Slughorn says from behind me, having me look towards him. "Five points to Ravenclaw for being one step ahead of everyone." he says with a smile before walking away.

-------------------------------

Harry had finished first, "Merlin's beard. It's perfect." Slughorn announces surprised. He has the rest of us stop, seeing as Harry had won the prize.

He hands Harry the vial with the Liquid Luck, "Here you are then, as promise. One bottle of Felix Felicis. Congratulations. Use it well." Slughorn tells Harry. He begins to clap, and slowly s few others around the room clap as well. Obviously many were upset that they weren't able to win the potion of luck.

____________________________________

1184 words

Hope You Enjoy!

Vote

Comment

Share

Lots of Luv~ snowflake