Old Friends

Reaper and Robin had gotten back to the mountain the next morning and Robin was smiling the whole day. Reaper would never admit it but seeing Robin so happy made him smile too which he found odd. Robin's good mood was almost infectious because Reaper would swear everyone else seemed to be in a slightly better mood too.

For some reason Reaper couldn't shake the feeling that something was going to happen and he didn't think he'd like it. The team had training and when they were finally done Reaper was glad simply because he didn't want to do it. Of course he'd do it whether he wanted to or not but he wasn't happy about it, he started watching the news and Robin sat next to him.

The hero held his hand and Reaper smiled just a little, the entire team seemed to be happy with how calm it was. Of course that didn't last long because Batman showed up and they were all sure it was because he had a mission for them. Batman spoke once they were all standing in front of him, "We've detected some strange activity in Midway City."

"With few League members available to check it out we're sending the team in, you'll report what you find to the League and we'll decide what to do."

They nodded and got ready to leave, Reaper had a strange feeling about all of this but he didn't have a real reason for it. The team soon headed to the bio-ship and Reaper was quiet, well, quieter then usual and that was slightly unsettling. Even with his mask on they could tell he had an intense look on his face, like he was trying to burn holes into everything he looked at.

Miss Martian eventually spoke, "We're getting close to the strange activity."

Aqualad nodded, "We will find what may be causing it but maintain our distance, Reaper, Miss Martian, and Robin may need to get closer to monitor the situation. We will report everything to Batman and wait for his orders, no one is to engage with anything that may be dangerous."

They all nodded and Miss Martian landed the bio-ship, they all walked out and looked around. Artemis spoke, "Everything seems fine."

Aqualad spoke, "Looks can be deceiving, proceed with caution."

Reaper had been on guard the whole time, he wanted to take out his guns but he forced himself not to. Robin noticed and held Reaper's hand which calmed him down a little, Robin eventually checked the map on his holo-glove which meant he had to let go of Reaper's hand. Robin spoke, "The source is just around the corner, it looks like an abandoned parking lot."

Aqualad nodded, "Make sure you are not seen."

They all nodded again and as they got closer Reaper could hear what sounded suspiciously like fighting. They looked around the corner and Reaper froze, Superboy spoke, "Who are those guys?"

Reaper was pissed now, he didn't hesitate before running in and it shocked all of the heroes so none of them stopped him. Reaper took out his guns and turned to smoke, when he turned back he shot a robot in the head. Four people turned to look when he did and one of them shouted, "Reaper?!"

Now the heroes were confused, it wasn't hard to tell that they somehow knew Reaper but they didn't know how. Reaper didn't answer, he shot another robot and he was clearly angry, he turned to smoke and turned back before shooting two more. He turned and shot three more and all of the robots were down, the young heroes ran over but Reaper ignored them.

He turned to the four strangers, "Tracer, Winston, seventy-six, Mercy, what the hell is going on?"

Mercy spoke, "We don't know, we don't even know where we are."

Kid Flash shouted, "What is going on?!"

The four immediately got ready for a fight and Reaper shouted, "Don't you dare hurt them, any of you!"

The four immediately put their hands up to show Reaper that they wouldn't and Artemis spoke, "Reaper, who are these guys?"

Reaper looked like he was about to respond when they heard gunfire not too far away and Reaper looked at them. "Was there anyone else with you?"

Winston shook his head, "We were the only ones."

They heard the gunfire again and Reaper growled to himself, "Clearly you weren't."

Reaper turned to smoke and headed toward the sounds, the strangers and the heroes ran after him and he turned back when they reached another lot. They kept running and soon saw who it was, the team was shocked and Reaper shouted, "Reyes!"

He actually sounded slightly panicked which none of them had expected, Reaper turned to smoke and turned back before shooting yet another robot. The person, Reyes, looked surprised, Reaper looked at him, "How the hell did you get here?"

"I could ask you the same question kid."

A robot attacked them and Reaper shot it, "Let's save this conversation for after we take these things down."

Reyes nodded, "I have to agree with you on this one."

Reaper shot two more robots and Reyes shot one, a robot managed to grab Reaper's leg and it lifted him up. They weren't sure what happened but Reaper actually sounded like he was in pain and Reyes immediately turned and shot the robot. It let Reaper go and his leg was badly hurt, Reyes shouted, "What did that thing do?"

"Hell if I know it felt like it was shredding my leg, let's just take them out."

Reaper turned to smoke and turned back on top of a robot, he shot two from on top of it and then shot the robot he was on. Reyes shot two before throwing a grenade at a few and blew them up, even Reaper thought it was a little overkill but he knew Reyes was angry. Reaper shot the last robot and they both sighed, Reyes looked around, "That's the last of them."

Reaper nodded before looking at Reyes and he saw one of the robots move, his eyes widened, "Look out!"

It was too late, Reyes looked just before it shot at him, at the very last second Reaper appeared in front of him and the bullet hit him. Reyes shouted, "Reaper!"

Reyes shot the robot and caught Reaper before he fell, Reaper took off his mask and coughed, the blood he coughed up showed he wasn't okay. Mercy flew over and landed at Reaper's side, she reached out toward Reaper but he grabbed her hand to stop her. "Don't."

Mercy looked shocked, "Reaper you will bleed out if I don't."

Reyes took something out of Reaper's pocket, "That's not going to change his mind." He sprayed the bullet wound with the skin adhesive Reaper kept with him and helped him stand as Reaper put his mask back on. Reyes helped him walk and when he got closer to the others Seventy-six stopped him, "Let him go."

Reyes clearly wasn't happy, "Are you seriously going to do this now, Reaper needs medical attention, or do you really not care about him enough to help him."

Tracer spoke, "And you do?"

Reyes looked at her, "More then any of you."

Aqualad spoke, "Enough, we do not know who you are and we don't care, right now Reaper needs help."

That shut them up, Winston spoke, "He's right, but we don't know where to get him help."

Robin spoke, "We do." Robin looked at Kid Flash, "Can you run him to the mountain?"

Kid Flash nodded and Reyes glared at them from behind his mask, "Don't touch him."

Reaper looked at Reyes, "It's fine, they're friends."

The heroes were surprised that he called them friends but they were kind of happy at the same time. Reyes reluctantly let Reaper go so Kid Flash could take him and the speedster left immediately to take him to the mountain. The five strangers didn't look happy, whether it was with each other or the fact that Reaper was hurt the heroes didn't know.

*****

Um, surprise?