A Friend

The team got back to the mountain with the five strangers and there had been a tense and agitated silence the whole time. Robin had already called Batman to tell him everything so their mentors were all waiting for them. They all walked out of the bio-ship and the Leaguers didn't know what to think of the new people.

Miss Martian spoke, "How's Reaper?"

Flash looked at her, "He's okay, he's kind of mad though."

Reyes crossed his arms, "I'm not surprised."

Mercy looked at him, "You do not even know him."

"I know him better then any of you."

Tracer glared at him, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean that you don't know much about him beyond the fact that he can fight."

Seventy-six grabbed the front of his shirt, "You better watch it."

"Or what, you'll shoot me, you know I'm right."

Seventy-six looked like he was getting angrier and Reyes turned into smoke to make him let go. Winston looked at Reyes, "What could you possibly know about him?"

"His real name for one."

Everyone in the room paused, then Mercy spoke, "That can not be true."

Someone spoke, "It is."

They all looked and Reaper was walking into the room, Reyes looked at him, "You shouldn't be up right now."

Reaper looked at him, "Look who's talking."

Winston spoke, "Reaper, how do you know him?"

Reyes spoke, "You didn't seriously think you could keep it a secret forever did you?"

Seventy-six glared at him from behind his mask, "He shouldn't be anywhere near you."

"So?"

Tracer spoke, "So? You kill people."

All of the heroes looked at Reyes, "I haven't killed anyone in four years."

Mercy spoke, "You still killed people, you are a monster."

"I thought you were supposed to be all about compassion." Someone coughed and they looked at Reaper, he lifted his mask a little as he looked down and he coughed up blood. Reyes walked over and Reaper stopped coughing, Reyes looked at the four, "I wonder why he trusts a killer more then any of you."

With that Reyes helped Reaper walk out of the room and the two were gone, the four just stood there. Batman spoke, "Until we know exactly what's going on you four are going to be under surveillance."

Tracer looked at him, "Us, what about the killer that just walked out of the room?"

Batman gave her a harsh glare, "We'll keep an eye on him too but Reaper can handle himself if anything happens."

The four wanted to argue but Batman didn't give them enough time too, they were taken to the watchtower which left the team with Reaper and a stranger. The team went to the living room and found Reaper and Reyes in the kitchen, Reyes spoke, "I don't care, you're not leaving until you do."

Reaper laughed coldly, "Like you could stop me."

Artemis was the one that broke into the conversation, "What is going on?"

Reyes looked at her, "He refuses to eat."

Reaper seemed annoyed, "I don't need to eat."

Reyes ignored him, "It helps him heal, he's just being stubborn."

"You're one to talk."

Reyes looked at him, "I'm not the one that's badly injured."

They didn't have to see their faces to know they were glaring at each other, they were silent for a few seconds before Reaper laughed a little. They were surprised by how genuine it was, they'd never heard him laugh like that, "Fine."

Reyes clearly felt happy about his small victory, then he turned about and stopped, "I have no idea where anything is in this kitchen."

Reaper laughed again and Miss Martian spoke, "I can find something."

Reyes looked at her and was quiet for a few seconds, "Thanks."

She smiled and nodded, Reyes turned into smoke and turned back next to Reaper so he wouldn't be in her way. Robin sat next to Reaper and the others seemed to decide to stand, Kid Flash broke the silence that had settled over the room. "Okay, so why do you two have the same powers, and why do you look so similar?"

Reaper and Reyes looked at each other, Reaper answered, "Reyes is the original Reaper."

The heroes stared at him in shock, Superboy spoke, "If he's the original why do you call him Reyes?"

Reyes answered, "It's a long story, but I stopped going by Reaper and gave that name to him."

Reaper growled to himself, "Doesn't change the fact that I'm a bad rip off."

Reyes glared at him, he was going to say something but Miss Martian set a plate of food in front of Reaper. Reaper pulled his hood down and took his mask off before he started to eat, the other heroes decided to get food too and they were all silent. Reyes leaned against the counter, "You're not a rip off."

"Yes I am."

"Not to me." Reaper paused, "We both know you're better then me, in more ways then one, and anyone that says otherwise is an idiot."

Reaper couldn't help but laugh a little, "This whole thing is fucked up isn't it?"

Reyes sighed, "Pretty much."

The heroes looked at each other, they'd never seen Reaper act like this with anyone and he clearly thought of Reyes as a friend. Reyes knew things about Reaper no one else did, but they had no idea why he trusted him so much. They also had no idea what was going on, but something was up and they wanted to know what it was, and they were scared to find out.