His Best

The heroes woke up the next day to find Reaper and Reyes sitting on the couch, the news was on but they weren't really paying attention to it. They were talking and Reaper had never seemed so invested in a conversation, Reyes listened to every word. "So after listening to them argue while ignoring me they finally came to a decision, I'm sure you can guess what that decision was."

Reyes sighed and shook his head, "Your life really is messed up."

"Believe me I know."

Robin was the one that broke into the conversation, "What are you talking about?"

Reyes answered, "When he first met all of you."

They all looked at Reaper who just shrugged, Robin sat next to Reaper who seemed more than fine with it. Reyes looked at the hero, "I'm telling you now that if you hurt him I will kill you."

Reaper looked at Reyes, "No killing."

Reyes looked at Robin again, "I'll maim you."

"Better, but still no."

Robin leaned away from Reyes a little, he was sure Reaper wouldn't let him hurt anyone but the man was still scary. Then the zeta tubes went off to announce the arrival of Batman and Black Canary which meant they probably had training. They all got up and Reyes followed Reaper, none of them said anything considering how much Reaper seemed to trust him.

They walked into the room and saw the other four new people, they must have come in with Batman and Black Canary. Reyes and Seventy-six glared at each other but Tracer gave Reaper a small smile, "You look like you're doing better."

Reaper shrugged, "No worse then usual."

The team looked at each other, Batman and Black Canary shared a similar look before the heroine spoke, "Okay team, time for training."

Winston looked at Black Canary curiously, "You've trained with Reaper?"

She nodded, "I've sparred with him myself a few times."

Mercy spoke, "And I am guessing he had beaten you each time."

Black Canary nodded and Seventy-six spoke, "He can beat all of us too."

Reyes laughed a little, "You haven't even seen him at his best."

Batman looked at Reaper who glanced away, "That's true."

They all stared at him in shock and Reyes looked at Black Canary, "Let me fight him."

Tracer glared at him, "You'll hurt him."

"We have the same powers and he's good in a fight, but if you don't trust me why not let Reaper decide?"

Reyes looked at Reaper who looked back at him before he looked at Black Canary, "It's fine."

She gave him a small smile, after everything he'd done she trusted his decisions, she had everyone clear the training floor. Reaper and Reyes walked onto it and they waited, Reyes smirked behind his mask, "Let's see what you've got kid."

Reaper laughed a little, "Just try to keep up."

Black Canary started the fight and Reyes attacked first, Reaper flipped backward to avoid the attack and kicked him in the chest. It pushed Reyes back and Reaper lunged at him, Reyes turned to smoke but Reaper wasn't phased. Reyes appeared behind him but as soon as he did Reaper kicked him, Reyes recovered quickly but Reaper had already turned into smoke.

He appeared at Reyes's side and attacked, Reyes managed to dodge and he attacked back, Reaper dodged the attacks. Reaper jumped back and turned to smoke, Reyes looked around to figure out where he'd turn solid. Reaper turned back above him and Reyes tried to move to avoid him, Reaper kicked off of his back and Reyes barely caught himself.

Robin stared at Reaper, he did seem to be fighting differently then usual but it wasn't just his skill or focus, he was having fun. Usually Reaper was tense or held back in case he hurt anyone but with Reyes he moved freely, he trusted Reyes to be able to handle it. Reaper tried to kick Reyes and he barely dodged it, Reaper quickly grabbed his wrist and flipped him over his shoulder.

Reyes hadn't had enough time to react and he hit the ground, the fight was over and Reaper had won again. Reaper held his hand out to Reyes and the killer took it, Reaper helped him stand and they walked closer to the other heroes. Black Canary spoke, "So you've been holding back."

Reaper nodded and Batman spoke, "Why?"

Reaper looked away, "Because I could hurt a lot of people if I didn't."

Reyes put his arm around Reaper's shoulders and without saying a word they left the room, Tracer was going to stop them but Batman wouldn't let her. Robin was worried but he'd trust Reyes to help him for now, he had known Reyes longer after all. Reaper went to his room and Reyes went with him, letting him be alone would not help right now.

Reaper sat on his bed and Reyes closed the door, "Okay, out with it, what's going on, what happened?"

Reaper felt frustrated, "Why does it matter?"

Reyes took off his mask and looked Reaper in the eye, "Because you matter to me."

Reaper stared at him for a few seconds before he sighed and took off his mask, "It's a really long story."

Reyes sat down on the other end of the bed to face him, "I have time."

Reaper sighed, "Fine." So he told Reyes everything, how he stayed with the team but no one trusted him. He went on missions with them and protected their friends and families without them knowing. They found out about his condition and the pain that came with it and then found out he'd been protecting their families.

He actually met their families and on their latest mission they found them but they didn't know anything about his past. Reyes listened in silence, he didn't give away any emotion as Reaper told him everything that had happened. Reaper sighed, "If they knew, if they found out I don't know what they would do."

Reyes leaned forward a little, "Reaper, Danny, you don't have to worry, at the very least you'll still have me."

Reaper nodded, "I know, but what if I didn't want to lose all of this?"

Reyes gave him a slightly sad look and moved to sit next to him and put his arm around his shoulders. "I don't know kid, I really don't know."

Reaper looked at his mask, his life had been complicated before but now it felt like it was worse. He wondered how bad his life could possibly get, and if any of the heroes would look at him as anything but a monster in the end.