Chapter 7

"How do I look?" Asma nervously asks. I laugh at her nervous pout. She checks in the mirror and gasps, as I chuckle again. Her dress is gorgeously in place.

"Told you so." Aqsa smirked. Asma is wearing her engagement dress and her makeup is done from the salon. She looks like a beauty. Her lengha is cream coloured as she showed me the other day.

"Mashallah I can't believe this day has come." Auntie shakes her head. In your wedding and engagement (the bride) you don't really have to wear hijab. So to hide most her hair, Asma is wearing her hair straightened and most of it is behind her veil (dupatta) and a few thick strands in front. It's more of a traditional and culture thing.

"Me neither." My mom sighs.

"Yes, now can we actually get to the hall?" Calls Saleem from his room. I swear, he has super sonic ears. Well, his room is right in front of Asma's. Zara dances into the room with her purple kamish shalwar on.

"Princess!" I tell her as she jumps into my arms.

"Thank you Iqra Aapi! I like your dress too! It's so pretty and it's blue! Well, I like pink better but it's okay, blue is cool! It's so shiny with gold!" Zara babbles.

   "Thank you." I murmur as we get out of Asma's room and Zara gets out of my arms and holds Aqsas hand. I help Asma with her lengha.

   We quickly get into the beautifully flowered car and we drive off, the cool seats the surface and the AC blasting on our faces.

...

   We are at the beautifully lit hall with those beautiful mini chandeliers and the brown sofas and chairs along with the brown table spreads . The combination is fantastic. Guests arrive in fancy dresses and sit around and talk. Zayn and Asma sit at the beautiful stage on the brown sofa. The photographer takes pictures as well.

   I look around for one important guest. You can guess, yes, Abdullah. Mama and Sahib Bhai are talking to Asma's mom. I sit quietly but excitedly.

   As my eyes trail, I find Abdullah and his family walking into the hall. His face literally lights up. Mama greets his Shaheen auntie as I blush and greet him, as the families leave us to do. But as I do, I find myself face to face with a shortish girl my age and with a pouty snout, and small brown eyes and curls. She eyes me.

"Asalam, Iqra.this is Samra, my cousin. She has come with her family from Australia for a few months. Asma was kind enough to invite her at the last minute." Abdullah smiles. Oh, Asma didn't mention that.

"Wasalam, habibti. Welcome, and asalam, Samra." I shudder as she gives me a glare behind Abdullah's back.

"Wasalam." She mutters. She stomps off to her parents. Anger issues much? I decide to forget her and enjoy the moment Allah SWT has set for me.

   "So, how are you? I have so much to tell you." And so the stories begin, and we talk until we cry laughing. Good thing my mascara is waterproof. The crowd quiets as Asma's dad talks.

"I am so glad you all have come here to celebrate Zayn and Asma's engagement. Let us proceed now," I modestly watch as Zayn takes out the beautiful ring and his mom beams beside him. He brings it closer and closer. Ya Allah may they be in each other's love forever, Ameen.

   He slips it in and everybody claps. "Takbeer!" Asma's dad says. "Allahuakbar!" We chant.

   Asma's turn. She takes out the ring and slides it in his hands as the photographer snaps a billion pictures and the crowd chants.

   After making dua for them, slight music comes on and dinner is served. While most people eat, I sit there and let a tear slip out of my eye. Abdullah wipes it away and gazes deeply into my eyes. "Honey don't cry," he murmurs. I nod. We go to Asma and she sees my tears and hugs me hard.

   "Ya Allah it's not even my wedding yet and this crazy girl is crying. I wonder how many oceans she will cry on my wedding," Asma tries. But she lets tears fall and soon we are being comforted by our husbands - soon to be - and families.

...

DAYS LATER

"Oh my Allah the exams are coming in 5 days! Oh, I'm so nervous!" I whisper to Asma. We are in the library studying.

"Shh. Yes, Allah Rabbi zidni ilma." She recited the dua for knowledge . Her henna is still on and she is wearing a fancy and long cardigan and jeans.

   I flop on the sofa again. Whenever we come to this library, we have a secret spot we hang out. It's on the second floor. Shelves of books surround it and it's like a little corner. Sofas and computers are scattered about. And a huge pained window with comforting light streaming in is accompanying us. It's where nobody ever comes really, because it's covered.

   I cross my legs and flip through the book again. We've been here for a few hours.

"Okay, hmm, let's do biology now? Can you say the words and I'll write the definitions?" and so I do. She does it too and we study until we are hungry. I grab some books to sign out and notice Asma's ring. I smirk and she whacks me. We sign out the books and go to Starbucks which is right beside the library.

   As I sip my drink, I study and talk with Asma. After drinking, we study some more and then drive home in my old Toyota.

"That was fun. Well, not really but I think we will do great inshallah. We have been studying 3 months before like animals. Inshallah, you'll see we will do great." I tell Asma.

"Yes, I believe so." She stays over for dinner and then goes home.
I study some more with the help of my brother. I want to be a child specialist doctor and since grade 5 I've been settled in my decision. I was always good at this, so why not?

   I read my Isha and read a lot of Quran and dua for a good future and test. I study more. Then I fall asleep.

...

   I wake up to another typical Uni day. I wear a plum coloured hijab and a denim skirt. I put some mascara and gloss. I go to Uni and find Asma.

We rush to our first period class and sit in the blue chairs, waiting for the teacher.

"Morning everybody, today we will just review our notes and watch a documentary based on our whole academic school year. Shall we get started now? Good." Mrs. M says. We watch the doc and review our notes. I finally think I can do this.

...

AOA MY LOVELIES! What's up? Comment and please like and vote and share! Ily all! I know Iqra can do this! lol okay salam baes!

   xoxo