Chapter 21

His beady eyes stare into mine and his jaw flexes and his muscles stay frigid, as if he's angry. Sure he's got the muscles but I won't fall for that.

"Because of your hijab." He says again, tauntingly. Tears swell in my eyes.

"Because of your hijab." He repeats, spitting the word out as if it is venom on his tongue. He towers over me even though he isn't that tall, it seems he is. I shake my head with tears running down my cheeks.

"BECAUSE OF YOUR HIJAB!!" He spat and I shook my head and then...

I wake up from my horrible dream. I shake my head.

It's just a dream. Just a dream. I remind myself. I get up and fix the bed, check on Manahil and then wake Abduallah up for work, he forgot to turn his alarm on.

"Abduallah habibti?" I gently shake his shoulders and he moans looking up at me with those beautiful eyes.

"Wake up," I remind him. He kisses me softly then gets up.

I hear the shower running as Abduallah is taking one. I grab a baby monitor and then go downstairs, and uncle is already at work.

I start cooking an egg sandwich for Abdullah and soon mummy is awake. We eat together then I send him to work and attempt to go back to bed but am woken by Manahil. I gently hold her and she's not in the mood to sleep but I am. Sigh.

...

The nightmare is stuck in my head and I need help, I need it out. It's so not true, that's not the way he did it at all, but I just can't stop thinking it's real.
I go downstairs and start on the dinner Abduallah will eat, he's coming in half an hour.

I am startled by my phone ringing. I pick it up.

"Asalam beta," mama says through the phone.

"Wasalam, mama? What's up?" I casually ask.

"Alhamdullilah beta , today Hashim is coming, so after Abdullah comes from work, you guys can come to Theyes house, alright? Just to give them a warm welcome. " mama tells me and I inwardly scream with joy, because I want to start over, to accept him as my close cousin again.

"Alright mama we will be over in a bit inshallah." I reply,

"Great, hon, and how was your day going?"

"It's great Alhamdullilah. Oh and should we eat dinner?" I ask.

"I think it's better you should."

...

We arrive at their house and get seated. Hashim is coming any minute now. All his fav dishes are also made and set on the table with plates covering.

As soon as we hear the door open everyone rushed but then sat right back down.

Because there, sure Hashim was there, but his arms were around a girl.