Chapter 12

haha posting earlier than i said i would cuz i forgot about school

———

It hit him hard. Like a bat to the face, like a dumbbell to the head, like he just got hit with a shot put ball.

That hard.

But this was not the class it needed to be hitting him in. He shook his head, turning his attention back to the teacher.

He wasn't particularly good at coding. He only took the class because he opted to start working on cyber crimes since the police force didn't really have anything like that. What really confused him, though, is why the teacher himself wasn't on the force. Maybe past events or something, but he wasn't gonna read too into it.

He caught himself dozing off again and tried to zone back in, but it was useless. He just didn't understand the concepts. He was great at math, and he knew math had something to do with it, so he tried that. He bit his lip, realizing he didn't hear what they were supposed to do.

He leaned over. "Hey, Chihiro, do you know what we're supposed to be doing?" He asked quietly. The girl shook her head. "I don't. Mr. Tsukimi hasn't said anything about it yet, he's just rambling." Shuichi nodded. "Th-Thank you.."

He yawned. All of this was too tiring. He needed to talk to somebody about this new thing. But the only person he could talk to was Maki, and by her previous actions, he assumed she was in no mindset to talk.

He shook his head, secretly checking his phone to see a text notification from Hajime Hinata.

-Hey, me, Makoto and Komaru are gonna head down to the mall for a small celebration. I'll tell you what it is when you get there. Meet me around 4?

He was pretty good friends with Hajime. Him and his best friends, Kazuichi and Fuyuhiko, had sat at the table right next to their on his first day at lunch and he found out Hajime had a good 4 classes with him, so they got to know each other pretty well.

Makoto and Komaru, he talked to them before but he wasn't super good friends with them. He knew Kyoko and Makoto were friends, and that author seemed to be close to Komaru, but that wasn't any of his business. He thought about it for a moment, then shrugged.

-Sure, I'll go. Excited to hear what this surprise is. 😀

"...Mister Saihara, you seem like you know the answer," Shuichi jumped, turning around. "Wh-What's the question?" Mr. Tsukimi smiled, swiping a hand through his teal hair. "I haven't asked it yet. Please, pay more attention in class."

Shuichi sighed, putting his phone away and resting his head on the table, making sure to push his keyboard away first. If anything, he'll just have Mr Tsukimi tutor him.

...

The end of the school day finally arrived and Shuichi met up with Hajime near the entrance of the school. While sitting and talking to the "Ultimate ???" he noticed Maki wall by rather quickly. He saw the outline of a rather large knife in her bag and she hopped on her bike, seemingly in a hurry. He sighed, wondering what she was up to but knowing she wouldn't wanna talk.

"Ah! Hi guys, we're here!" A female voice rang behind them. They turned around and saw the Naegis, panting and smiling- well, Komaru more-so, but both smiling.

"Hm? You two seem to be in a good mood, care to explain?" Hajime asked, getting up and walking towards them. Komaru giggled, staring at Makoto in excitement. He elbowed her, laughing a bit.

"I uh... Confessed my feelings to Kyoko..!" He announced, earning a squeal from Komaru. Shuichi's eyes widened, clearly amused. "How'd that go..? Especially with how busy Kirigiri is with work and such.." The detective asked. Hajime nodded. "Yeah, how did that go?"