Chapter 17

Maki yawned, hastily getting up and grabbing her bag which was already full of things. Today was a big day. A very important day for her. It was the one thing she had been looking forward to in the last month.

She grabbed her phone, texting her new boyfriend something and turning it on silent. She quickly got dressed and made her way out the door.

So what was happening today that made it so important? Well, today was the day the head of the Togami business would hold a press conference to discuss some things that had been happening within them recently. Normally, she wouldn't bat an eyelash as she never really cared for the authority or anyone of importance. But she cared about it in this case. Specifically because of who commissioned her.

She checked her watch. 6:03 am. Scowling a bit, she decided to take the long way to the café where she was supposed to meet with her client. Of all the places in Tokyo, they had to pick the one Shuichi Saihara, Ultimate Detective who usually always has knowledge of recent assassination and murder cases, goes in the morning. He usually wakes up around 6, though, and she couldn't imagine he would go as soon as he woke up, but better safe than sorry.

One thing she never understood about this client, however, is why they chose to meet in such a public place. From what she could understand, they were pretty big, so they'd be recognized out in public immediately. Most clients usually chose to met in abandoned buildings or their own homes, but this one chose a café, and a pretty popular one at that, so why? She couldn't understand the objective. But she didn't care that much. As long as she got her money and won't be caught, everything will be all right...

She stepped inside the café, making sure not to make herself look suspicious. She ordered a coffee and pulled out her phone, seeing a text from the client.

"I will be late. Something came up. My apologies. I can pay a bit extra if it's any trouble."

She scoffed. The last thing she needed was a late client. She shook her head and pulled out her headphones to sit around until they showed up, as well as checking the times of the press conference to make sure she won't botch her mission.

She had only been there for about 3 minutes when Shuichi walked in. Fantastic. "Oh, hi Maki. I didn't realize you came here too.." She didn't look at him. "On occasion. I was just about to leave, though. Uh... Have a good morning." She cringed, grabbing her things and quickly leaving, hoping Shuichi wouldn't be too suspicious. Unfortunately, he was, and the bag she carried with her made him even more so. A black backpack wasn't her usual bag, but maybe there was a reason for that... He shook his head, getting back to work.

Maki ended up waiting in the alleyway next to the café for about 30 minutes before her client showed up.

"Got caught up in work. Terribly sorry," They scoffed, almost as if they didn't mean it. Maki rolled her eyes, bringing her bag up to the table as she sat down. "I need that payment before I can go through with the operation. For something this big, I won't accept anything less than 900 grand or so." The client nodded, pulling out a briefcase.

A waiter came by to take their order. Mali's commissioner handed them a $100 bill to forget they were there, to which they happily obliged, leaving.

"...Just know you can't bring back the dead," Maki started. "Are you sure you want me to go through with this? Not like I care, but I don't want you to ask for a refund or something." The person nodded. "Very sure. It's about time I take over the company. My father isn't going to retire anytime soon, so it would be best to take care of business now." Maki didn't remember asking for his life story, but nodded anyway.

The tall man with the surname of Togami handed her the briefcase to which she stuffed in her bag after confirming it was the correct amount of money. "I expect this to go as planned. If one thing messes up, I'll turn you in immediately." With that, he left.

Maki quickly followed suit. She packed her things and ordered a chai latte before leaving the cafe. She was thankful Shuichi left before seeing her rendezvous with Byakuya, but by the scornful face greeting her, he didn't.

"Togami handed you a briefcase. What was it for?" Shuichi asked, arms crossed and leaning against the wall. He was an entirely different person in "detective mode." Maki only clenched her teeth. "It's none of your business. I'm leaving, have a good day." As she continued walking a hand grabbed her wrist. triggering Maki's fight-or-flight instinct and quickly pulling him into a chokehold after dropping her bag. She let go when Shuichi sheepishly asked to be set free. So much for his serious demeanor.

"S-Sorry, its just... killing people is illegal, Maki," He mumbled, rubbing his neck. "Please show me the law.." Maki growled, picking her things up from the ground. Shuichi sighed, knowing the amount of money Togami must've paid her won't change her mind. "Just... Don't get caught. I don't want another one of my friends in custody, haha.." Maki forced a smile and sped walked home. Shuichi sighed again, mindful to keep an eye on the T.V. today.

...

9:58 am.

The conference was due to start any minute now. Gulping, she carefully made her way to the roof of a tall building in close proximity to the location of the event. She took a deep breath as she watched the company CEO walk out onto the stage, followed by what seemed like hundreds of media reporters. She let him talk a little bit before readying her rifle.

Wrapping her finger around the trigger, she leaned in a little to make sure her aim was on point.

As she took a deep breath, she shot.

Mere seconds after the bullet embedded itself in the CEO's head, thousands of screams could be heard almost in unison. Many people gathered around him, checking his pulse and whatnot, but she knew he was dead. She was trained to his the part of the brain that kills you instantly. There was no way she could've botched this mission. That was, until, she heard a voice yell out behind her.

"Maki Harukawa! You know murder is illegal, right? Would be a shame if someone.... turned you in?"

-
-
-
-

hell yeah chapter 17 is up anyway no funny notes today. some serious stuff now

I can't believe i have to say this but "rat" isn't a derogatory slur anymore. "Vermin," a word commonly used by higher-class white people, is more of a derogatory slur than rat is. Simply get off your lazy ass and do a bit of research. If you'd like to discuss this more, don't. I won't be giving and mind to you anymore. Thank you!💕

ok serious over- i'm trying out a new writing style! what do y'all think? if you have any criticism for how i can improve i'd really appreciate it! as always i love you all and have a great day 🥺💕

Word count: 1245