Part 2

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock beeping in my ear. The sound echoed through my brain for a second before I realized to shut it off. "Get up! Get up!" it screamed. I rubbed my eyes and stretched my arms. I don't know why stretching felt so amazing when you did it first thing in the morning, it made you want to go back to sleep, in an odd way. Maybe it's a way for your body to tease you with comfort and your brain would want to go back to bed.

I got up and climbed the stairs to the kitchen, where my mom was making an omelette. Jack and Kyra were already awake and eating at the dinner table.

"Good Morning sleepyhead," My mom placed the omelette onto a plate and sat it in front of an empty chair at the dinner table, the omelette was screaming to be eaten. My mom always seemed to be cooking something, whether it be before school or after school, something was always on the stove or in the oven.

"Morning, where's dad at?" I sat down on the uncomfortable wooden chair and dug into my omelette.

"He had an early meeting this morning," Kyra stood up with her plate and took it to the kitchen counter and placed it in the sink. I nodded and kept eating my omelette. Jack slowly picked at his food, but he couldn't not eat without mom not noticing if that's what he was trying to do.

"Jack, eat your breakfast, or you'll be late for school," my mom said without even turning her head to see how much he had eaten. I swear, sometimes mom's really do have eyes in the back of their heads, or at least some kind of magical 6th sense. I shot my head to look at the cat clock on the wall, the tail swinging back and forth and the eyes mocking me.

"You'll be late, you'll be late," it mocked.

"Oh crap! I've got to go get ready! I didn't realize how late it was," I stuffed the omelette in my mouth and ran down the stairs to my room.

I quickly put on a shirt and pants and packed a sweater into my bag. I ran upstairs and grabbed for the door handle.

"Ok, I'm leaving," I said as I started to go out the door. Again, without missing a beat, my mom said

"Aren't you forgetting something?"

"Right!" I ran up the stairs and grabbed my lunch and gave my mom a kiss on the cheek. "Bye!" I yelled before shutting the door behind me and walking to my car. I started the car and pulled out of the driveway.

When I pulled into my parking spot at school, I was immediately greeted by Ryan and his girlfriend, Hannah. She seemed like a nice girl whenever I got to hang out with her and Ryan but he consistently complained about everything she did wrong, from giving him attitude to her supposedly having other guys in her phone contact. "Hey, Matt!" He yelled as he walked up to me, with his arm around Hannah's shoulder.

"I told you to stop calling me Matt, Matthew is fine!" I crossed my arms in front of my chest and walked by him, even though he insisted on following me like a baby puppy. He is usually a pretty independent guy but when it comes to when he wants something from you, he can get in your personal bubble a lot.

"Sorry dude, anyway what's your first class?" He ran up beside me, still having Hannah next to him.

"Math, why?" I responded cautiously.

"Perfect! You can do my math homework!" He stopped and sat his bag on the ground, looking through the messy pile of papers.

"No, I'm not doing your homework," I scoffed and walked away, hoping to finally lose him. This was the 3rd time this week he asked me to do his homework, every time for a different class. He thought we were friends but I didn't like to hang out with him. Despite that, I try to be nice to him when he doesn't get on my nerves, I don't want to hurt his feelings. I walked into my math class and took my regular spot in the back row, away from attention and at low risk of being picked out of the blue, the perfect spot.

Every class was the same routine for me, setting my head down on my desk while the teacher talked and then working until my next class and repeating. Most other students did the same routine except for the class clown or loud kids of each period. But I did have 1 class every Wednesday and Friday with my homeroom teacher, Science. Science was one of my favourite classes, almost every class we got to do hands-on work which made the class go by faster, but for everything good to happen, there has to be a downside. For me, this downside was named Alix.

Alix was a girl who I hated, and I knew she hated me too. We would always compete to finish first, which I would only do with her, no one else. My friends knew I hated her too. Alix was annoying, to say the least, or at least she was annoying in school. I made an effort to avoid her out of school. She knew my brother very well, even though he was a Senior and she was a Junior. I walked into the classroom and Alix had already given me a dirty look, and I gave one back.

"Ok class, take your seats and we will begin shortly," I stood at my normal station, a row across from Alix. It wasn't my choice to sit across from her, it was the teacher who gave us the assigned seating plan. I put on the lab coat that was in the cubby under my station and the safety goggles to go along with it. Rey, my regular lab partner started to set the equipment up. Tubes, beakers and Petri dishes were spread out on the table. I looked over to Rey, who always seemed to have a smile on her face. Not a forced smile, a pleasant smile.

"Are you ready?" She looked up at me. Her dark red hair was always neatly held in braids and baby hairs were constantly tucked behind her ear throughout the day. She would tuck her hair behind her ears multiple times every class, not that I was watching her the whole class though.

"Uh, y-yeah" I stumbled over my words. I sounded like a total idiot around her. I would always stutter or mix up my words when I spoke with her but she waited for me to finish with a patience smile and then responded as if I made perfect sense.

"Pst, pretty boy," I could hear someone trying to get my attention from the station across from me. I looked over and saw Alix, raising her eyebrows at me. "You like what you see?" She looked over to Rey. Alix, as much as she hated me, loved to tease and mock me. She really just loved anything that made me feel embarrassed about myself.

"Shut up," I snarled. Alix giggled then went back to pretending to help her partner.

"What was that?" A soft voice asked. I looked back to Rey to see her looking at me with a confused look on her face.

"O-oh nothing! Just talking to girl-I mean- talking to my friend," I rambled.

"Oh, ok!" Rey smiled and started to prepare chemicals for the lesson. She was so great, She's amazing.

"S-so, did you hear about the j-junior field trip?" I asked. What are you doing! You're making yourself look like an idiot to her. I scolded myself. It was true that what I was doing was stupid, I never started a conversation with her, It was her who usually did that.

"Yeah! It looks really fun, I can't wait," Rey smiled. She was so enthusiastic about everything.

"So y-you are going?" I asked. I could feel my face warm up more and more each time a word came out of my mouth.

"Yeah, I really love camping and the outdoors," Rey finished pouring chemicals and started to mix things together. I smiled back at her with what probably looked like an idiot smile, then started to help her.

Before the bell rang, our science teacher, Mr. Hugh, gave out papers for our parents to sign for the end of year trip.

"Wow, they already made waivers and permission forms for us, wasn't the letter posted yesterday on the website?" One of my friends asked.

"Yeah, but they don't even know the dates yet," I answered.

"No, it says right here that it will be somewhere between May 15 and May 20," One of my other friends replied, pointing to a sentence on the sheet.

"Oh yeah," I looked on the back of my sheet where he had been pointing to. The bell rang and I packed up my stuff and headed to lunch.

Thank you so much for the #6 rating in the camp romance category. You have no idea how much it means to me!