Part 12

As I left the dining hall and made my way to the cabin, all I could think about was Alix, and suddenly, she appeared in front of me, catching me off guard. "A-Alix?!" I exclaimed, leaning back onto my left foot.

"Sorry, Matt, I didn't mean to scare you," I was tempted to express my dislike of the nickname but I didn't mind it coming from her.

"N-no, no, you didn't scare me, I just didn't see you there," I explained, regaining my calm composure.

"I j-just want to talk to you.... About last night," She seemed to lose her sassy attitude that I was so used to seeing when we were alone, together.

"Oh, uh yeah the kiss..." I muttered out. I had almost completely forgotten about the kiss with the events of last night and the morning earlier.

"Um, actually, you know what, nevermind," She dropped the subject and left the cabin. I watched her walk down the gravel road to a neighbouring cabin, Anthony's cabin. He was her wingman. I tried to keep myself distracted during the class hiking trip through a forest, but I could hear Anthony and Alix whispering and every time I looked back at them, they would immediately stop and look away from the other. I knew they were talking about me, and I couldn't help but try to listen, though all I could hear was murmuring.

"Ok class, We are going to split into pairs for an activity," Mr. Hugh announced. "Join your cabin partners, and we are going to clean the forest," We were given disposable gloves and trash bags, then everyone separated. As Alix and I picked up plastic and trash, she seemed nervous. Fidgeting with her chain necklace, avoiding eye contact and a certain lack of flirtatious lines told me that she had something on her mind.

"Alix, are you ok?" I asked. She quickly met my eyes when she heard my voice.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine, but can we talk somewhere... Private?" Alix eyed a tree in the distance, larger than its surrounding trees, that was away from others.

"Sure," We snuck away from the others and stood behind the tree, her back to the bark of the tree. "So, what did you want to talk about?" Was she going to tell me about her feelings?

"I wanted to tell you that I like a boy...." She avoided my gaze. It felt like the whole forest went silent at that moment, waiting for my response.

"O-oh, do you mind telling me who it is?" I stumbled over my words. I noticed her swallow nervously before opening her mouth slightly.

"Umm..." She paused. "It's you," I listened to her ramble but all I wanted to do was kiss her plump, peach lips. The red tint of her cheeks complemented her skin perfectly, I wanted to be consumed by her essence. I grabbed her face and pressed my lips against hers, her back slamming against the tree bark. The taste of her watermelon lip balm was intoxicating and I felt her arms wrap around my neck, resting her forearms in the groove of my shoulders. As I pulled away, I let out a shaky breath as our foreheads stayed connected. I opened my eyes slowly, seeing her doing the same. A grin rolled across my face as we looked into each other's eyes. We were the classic enemies to lovers' stories.