Chapter 10: Nick

Nick walked slowly to Zak. Zak held out his arms. Nick went to him. "Float on your stomach" Zak said. Nick turned on to his stomach, he felt Zak's strong hand under him. Putting his head up, "Kick," Zak said. Nick had never told anyone that he couldn't swim. He thought for sure Zak would laugh, but here they were. Nick smiled, kicking his legs. "Now move your arms" He said. Nick moved his in front of him, pushing the water to the side. Zak let go, Nick went under. He started to panic. Zak pulled him into him. A memory flashed through his mind. Him and Zak had been walking down an alley, and some guy had tackled Nick to the ground, holding a knife to his throat. Zak had punched the guy so hard, he knocked him out. Zak had fallen to his knees, pulling Nick into him, asking if he was okay and if he was hurt. "Nick?" Zak's voice slashed through the memory. Nick looked up at Zak. "Yeah" Zak smiled, "You left for a minute" He said, putting Nick down. "Sorry, just thinking" Nick tried again to swim. Zak had to save him. He kept trying. Zak had to save him every time. "You're like a sexy lifeguard" Nick said. Zak blushed. "Try again", Nick tried again and managed to get halfway across the pool, following Zak's arms. Zak wrapped his arms around Nick's waist, "You did it" he whispered in his ear. Nick smiled. There was sound at the end of the pool. Nick looked and saw two elderly women staring at them. Zak wrapped his arms around Nick's neck, kissing him. Nick closed his eyes, and the whole world stopped. Nick pulled away. The women whispered to each other, looking at them. Zak splashed Nick, "That's for the van this morning" he said, grinning. Nick laughed. 

Back in the room, Zak went into the bathroom to take a shower. Nick dried off, and got changed. He got into bed. he looked at the clock on the bedside table. 9: 30pm it said. Nick turned the light off, and fell asleep. Nick drifted into a dream. He woke up in the woods, he was running from something. He looked behind him to see a large shadow. He ran faster. He saw Zak, he was on his knees, tied up. Nick tried to run to him, but he couldn't move. The shadow turned into a strange creature. The thing made the most ear-shattering scream, it's bony body cracked with every step. It didn't have eyes, just black holes. It staggered up to Zak. The thing went on all fours. It grabbed Zak, and dragged him into the darkness. Nick's eyes snapped open. He gasped for air. The room was dark. He sat up and looked at the clock. it was only eleven at night. Zak snored softly in the other bed. Nick got up, feeling his way to Zak. He shook Zak's arm, "Zak?" Nick whispered, Zak groaned, he sat up, "What's wrong, Nick? are you okay?" he asked. "Nightmare" Nick whispered back. Zak turned on the light. "What happened?" he asked, "There was something chasing me through the woods then I saw you and then" his voice craked, "It killed you and I just had to make sure that" he faltered, letting the tears run down his cheeks. Zak smiled softly, wiping the tears from Nick's face. "Nick ,it's okay, it wasn't real" He pulled Nick onto the bed next to him. Nick snuggled into Zak's warm chest. Zak  turned the light out. He kissed Nick on the forehead. Zak put his arms around Nick. Nick leaned into him, taking in his smell. He smelled faintly of bleach, from the pool. Zak put the warm blanket over them, and that's how they fell asleep.