Chapter 19

Chapter 19: Etiquette

The darkness only then ended at the moment I opened my eyes.

The pictures of memories lingering inside my head disappeared. My gaze was drawn to the art nouveau mirror in front of me. It was the one who greeted me.

And there I saw a defined reflection of a woman.

She whose feelings were concealed by the touch of her make-up. She whose body was clothed in golden silk and robe feathers. And she... who appears perfect on the outer edge but is riddled with dents and faults underneath.

I found myself pitying the woman in the mirror as I used to for years. Because every time she welcomed me, I always saw her eyes as dull and lifeless. That despite what she's been showing to others, in a room where no one else exists, she was bare... she was downhearted.

Mapait akong napangiti habang nakatitig pa rin sa salamin. Dahil ang nararamdaman kong pagkaawa ay hindi pala para sa iba. Kung hindi para sa sarili ko. Para sa akin.

I put my lipstick down and heaved a sigh.

There were times that I saw myself as a stranger, and this was one of those moments. This sense of unfamiliarity, however, made my heart stung. It drew me back to where I was years ago, and I realized that what made me a stranger to myself was all the things I've been through. Everything that I experienced. From that day I found out how cruel the world is for innocence and naiveness.

So no matter how much I am unfamiliar with this version of myself, I embraced it wholeheartedly. Since this woman is tougher, bolder, and a fighter. Far from who I was. Far from the pigeon that everyone knew and everyone used for their advantage.

I shifted my cold gaze into the paper placed at the vanity table.

Kumuyom ang mga palad ko nang makita ang mga pangalan na nakapaloob doon. I can feel my heart tighten. But more than that, I can feel my face burned with the bitter memory of the erstwhile.

My system embraces utmost rage.

Naglaho lamang iyon nang marinig ko ang tunog ng cellphone sa tabi. Doon ko namalayan ang higpit ng pagkakakuyom ng mga palad, kaya pinakawalan ko ito kaagad. Napabuga ako ng marahas na hangin nang makita ang marka ng mga kuko ko sa aking balat.

The phone continue ringing so I shook my head, before grabbing it. Kusang umarko ang kilay ko sa nakitang text message ng kaibigan na si Amore.

From: Gerlpren

We got here! He's safe. Pero 'yon nga, crying siya kanina kasi he misses you raw. Mag vc na ba us? Ayaw kong umiyak ang baby ko so please?

Hindi ko mapigilang mapanguso sa nabasa. Kahit kailan talaga. I then bite my bottom lip. Pipindutin ko na sana ang pang-video call, ngunit natigilan ako nang may kumatok sa pintuan ng silid na kinaroroonan ko. Wala pa nga akong sagot, bumukas na iyon at mga mata ni Corina ang nakita kong sumilip doon. Alanganin itong napaayos ng tayo at ngumiti nang makita rin ako.

"Ah, Madam! S-Sorry po for coming in. I-re-remind ko lang po sana kayo tungkol sa event na pupuntahan," nakatungong depensa niya. "Baka po kasi... uh... m-mahuli po kayo, Madam."

Nanatili lamang akong nakatingin sa kanya. Walang salitang lumalabas sa bibig ko. At iyon ang naging dahilan ng pagiging taranta ni Corina. She looked so uneasy that she swallowed hard, cleared her throat, fidget her fingers, and oh... I saw her sweating bullets too.

"M-Madam..."

I stared back at her eyes and I didn't expect the colors in her face to be lost. Mukha atang hindi na siya humihinga kanina pa.