Chapter 23

Monday, I called in sick to work and me and Noel drove over to Scott's apartment. His car was gone so we went in. I quickly gathered all of my things and we carried it all to the car. We went back in one last time to make sure I had gotten everything. I picked up Ruby and gave her a kiss on the head. I looked over at the picture of me and Scott that was sitting on the shelf. We looked so happy. It felt so strange, like the picture had been taken in a different lifetime. We left and went back to Noel's house and brought all of my belongings inside. I set up Ruby's bed by the couch. She walked around exploring then curled up in her bed. Me and Noel were sitting on the couch watching tv when my phone rang. It was my sister. 

"Fuck." I said as I stared at my phone.

"What?" Noel asked.

"I totally forgot. My sister is here. She was supposed to stay with me and Scott all week then we are supposed to all go to my parent's house Saturday for lunch. My phone rang again and I answered.

"Hey, sorry we are on our way."

"Ok. I'm still waiting for my luggage."

"Ok, see you soon."

I looked at Noel.

"Come on, we have to go to the airport."

"Ok."

My sister was waiting outside with her suitcase when we pulled up to the pick up area at the airport 20 minutes later. I got out and helped her put her suitcase in the back of the car, then we got in. 

"How was your flight?" I turned and asked her. I had my sunglasses on so my bruises were hidden. 

"Fine." She glanced at Noel then looked at me then back at Noel.

"Noel?"

He glanced back at her and smiled.

"Alright Nora."

She looked at me confused.

"It's a long story." I sighed.

"Where's Scott? I was looking forward to finally meeting him."

"I'll tell you everything when we get home."

"Ok." She said reluctantly.

15 minutes later, we pulled up to Noel's house.

"I thought you lived with Scott in an apartment?"

"Come on, I'll tell you inside."

We went into the house and Nora set her suitcase down. She looked at me. I took my sunglasses off and she gasped.

"Claire! What happened to you?"

"Let's go sit."

We sat on the couch and I told her everything. She couldn't believe Scott had done that to me. 

"Mom was always saying how great he was and how she couldn't wait for me to meet him."

"I mean he was until this happened." I pointed to my face.

She looked at Noel then me.

"So are you guys together now?"

Me and Noel looked at each other and I smiled at him.

"Yeah, I think we are."

He winked at me.

"So are we still going to mom and dad's on Saturday?"

"Yeah. You have to help me tell them that me and Scott broke up."

"They don't know any of this?"

"Nope. I felt too embarrassed."

"It's not your fault Claire. There's never a good reason to hit someone."

"I know." I forced a smile, but I did feel responsible.

I ended up calling my work and taking the whole week off. I didn't want anyone to see the bruise. Me, Nora, and Noel spent the week hanging out and it was really fun. Saturday arrived and I was so nervous to go to my parent's house. I decided to only tell them about me and Scott and not mention Noel yet. The bruise around my eye was gone, but the bruise on my cheek was still visible, although significantly smaller and less noticeable now. Me and Nora drove over to my parent's house and went inside. My mom smiled as we walked into the kitchen. She gave Nora a big hug then me. She looked around. 

"Where's Scott?"

"I uh..."

She looked at me and noticed the bruise.

"What happened to your cheek?"

Me and Nora looked at each other. 

"Mom, let's sit." Nora said.

She looked at us funny, but sat at the kitchen table. 

"Me and Scott broke up."

"When?" She asked, surprised.

"When he did this to my face."

My eyes started to tear up.

"He hit you?" She looked at me in disbelief.

"Yeah." I nodded.

Nora rubbed my shoulder in support.

"Why? When?"

"Last weekend."

"Did you call the police?"

"No. I just want to forget the whole thing."

My mom sat there letting it all process in her mind. Nora gave me a tissue to wipe my eyes. 

"Where are you staying?"

"At a hotel."

"A hotel? No honey, come back home."

"It's fine mom, I'll get an apartment when I can."

"Nonsense. You're coming back home. You can go check out of the hotel after we eat and stay here tonight."

She stood up and walked into the kitchen to finish preparing lunch. Me and Nora looked at each other. My dad came into the kitchen a few minutes later and I told him what I had told my mom. We spent the next 20 minutes convincing him not to go see Scott. After we ate, we talked for a little while, then me and Nora returned to Noel's house. He was upstairs playing guitar. I quickly packed a bag then went to the spare room. I told him my mom insisted I stay at their house until I got my own place. 

"I want you 'ere with me." He stood and walked over to me.

"I know. I want to stay here too, but I think I should go for a few days at least. 

"I really wanted to fuck you tonight though." He said in a lowered voice.

"Ew, I heard that." My sister said as she walked into the room with her suitcase.

She looked at me.

"Ready to go?"

I sighed.

"Yeah, I'll be down in a minute."

"Ok. Bye Noel." She gave him a smile then walked out of the room and downstairs. I looked at Noel.

"Goodbye."

He kissed me then hugged me.

"I'm gonna miss you." He whispered in my ear. 

He pulled back and looked at me.

"Maybe I can sneak you in or something."

"I don't think that would be such a good idea. Your parents already hate me, remember?"

"They wouldn't even know." I whispered.

He grinned and gave me another kiss then walked me downstairs and me and my sister left to go back to my parent's house.