Chapter 25

Over the next couple weeks, I tried to work up the nerve to tell my parents about me and Noel, but I always chickened out. I kept making up reasons why I had to leave the house or stay late at work so I could really go see Noel. I told myself to just tell my parents and go live with Noel, but living at home with my parents had somehow turned me back into a unconfident college student again. My mom asked me a million questions everytime I left the house. I got the feeling that she was getting suspicious. One night, I came home from Noel's house and found my mom sitting at the kitchen table drinking a cup of coffee. 

"Hi mom."

"Sit honey."

I immediately felt nervous. I sat and looked at my mom. 

"I know where you've been going."

"You do?" My heart was pounding.

"Yes."

I didn't know what to say.

"You don't have to sneak around Claire. If you want to see him then see him."

"Really?"

"It's your life. I personally don't think it's a good idea to continue a relationship with a violent man, but.."

"Wait, what?" I looked at her confused.

"You're seeing Scott again. That's where you go whenever you say you're going to "the store" or have to "stay late" at work, right?"

I didn't know what to say so just stared at her. 

"Your father will not like this."

"Mom, I'm not seeing Scott."

She looked at me surprised.

"Then who are you seeing?" She asked.

I wanted to tell her. I came so close, then I chickened out once again.

"No one. I just need space to think sometimes."

She looked at me like she didn't believe me.

"Just keep this in mind. Your father will never welcome that man into this house again."

She stood up and walked away to her room. I sat there for a few minutes then went to bed. 

A decided it was probably a good idea to not go see Noel for a few days. I was watching a movie with my mom one night. I went to use the bathroom and when I walked back into the living room, my mom was holding my phone. 

"It rang." She said.

I sat down and she handed it to me. I was relieved when I saw I had a missed call from Nora and not Noel. We finished the movie then I called Nora back. My mom wanted to ask her something so I handed my phone to her and she accidentally hung up. 

"Oh shoot." my mom said.

She opened my contacts to call Nora back and just as I realized Noel's number was right above Nora's, my mom saw it and froze. 

"Here, I'll do it." I said and tried to take my phone.

She looked at me then back at my phone.