11. The big task

She went to Yubaba the next day, not because she wanted to but because Rin had asked if she could deliver some papers to her, she had said that she could do it herself if Chihiro did not want to go to her office but Chihiro thought that the best thing was to face your fears.

Yubaba did not seem to care at all that Chihiro were there she just told Chihiro to put the paper work on her desk and leave. But Chihiro hinted a sadness in the witches eyes. Maybe it had something to do with Bohs father she thought. But in all honesty Chihiro did not want to know anything about Yubabas love life.

''Is there anything I can do for you?'' Chihiro asked deciding to try to befriend the witch even just a little. Yubaba looked a bit surprised at Chihiro. ''Well since you offer why don't you start cleaning the big bath?'' She said with a grin covering almost her whole face.

''Wow Yubaba you have become soft, you only want me to clean a bath?'' Yubabas smile faded. ''Well you better hurry before the costumers comes'' She yelled. Chihiro decided to follow her order so she went down and started to clean. It sure was not an easy task and it took a lot of strength to get rid of the biggest piles of dirt. It must have been a terrible greasy spirit here last night to leave such a mess. Usually three people would clean this together but Yubaba had made sure that it was Chihiro doing it all by herself.

After about an hour Rin came rushing. ''I am so sorry Chihiro I did not know that Yubaba would put you on this job if you went to her office'' Rin said feeling really sorry for her human friend. Chihiro looked real messy as she had been scrubbing on all her fours. ''No do not worry I asked Yubaba if I could help her with anything and she sent me here.'' Chihiro said. Rin looked at Chihiro ''Why would you offer that to her? Of corse she will give you a shitty job''.
''I want to do all her stupid tasks so she will not have anything to complain about, I' will finish up soon so do not worry''. Chihiro said giving Rin a reassuring wink.

''He will not be happy when he finds out that she put you up to this'' Rin said. Chihiro understood that Rin were referring to Haku. She told Rin to not say anything. She did not want to complain about Yubaba, then her plan of making the witch like her just a little bit would be destroyed. Chihiro spent two hours on the bath and were very proud of herself when she had finished. ''That wasn't so bad'' She thought.

Just as she had finished a frog spirit came to her and told her that Haku wanted her to come to his office. She was excited about seeing him since they had not had anytime to talk since they had come back from Zenibas.

He opened the door as soon as she knocked but he had a shocked expression on his face. ''What have happened to you?'' he asked worried. Chihiro had totally forgot the mess she looked like. She decided to joke it off 'Just been working'' She answered expressionless. ''You must have worked really hard'' Haku said looking her up and down. ''Well nothing I can not handle and with you as my boss I do not dare to do anything else'' She answered. Haku just glared at her.

''Why did you want me here?'' She asked. ''Well I just wanted to check up on you and I am glad that I did. You look terrible to be honest'', he laughed. ''If you want to check up on me, why do you summon me? You could just walk over to me you know'' Chihiro said a bit irritated. ''Im sorry I guess I am not used to checking up on people'' he said with a smile. ''Then why start now?'' Chihiro asked looking straight into the dragons green eyes. He just glared back at her, ignoring her comment.

''I will leave tomorrow to go to my river and I am a bit worried about you so I wonder if you could go to Zenibas for the time being since i will not be able to protect you''.

''Oh..'' Chihiro answered feeling sad that she would not see him for a few days. They had been so busy this week to meet and now he was leaving.

Haku saw her sad expression. It made him a bit happy that she was sad about him leaving. ''I will try to make it back early'' He promised trying to cheer her up a bit. She just nodded still feeling sad that he was leaving.

''I will drop you off at Zenibas on my way to the river'' He said, he would not let her stay here with Yubaba. ''Okay...'' Chihiro said she did not want to argue with him. She turned around ready to leave his room feeling a little sad.

''Chihiro why won't you have dinner with me? So we can catch up a little?'' He said she turned around and saw that his desk was filled with different types of food. Her eyes light up a bit. ''I guess I have to say yes since you have already prepared it'' She said as she smiled at him. She happily jumped to the table and sat down, they started to eat.

''So tell me about your life Chihiro I am sure that everything was not bad'' He said looking up at her as he drank from his soup.

Chihiro told him everything from her school life, that she found Rumi, her university life, the sports she had loved, she was very into gymnastics for a while. She also loved music and played the piano.

''I would love to hear you play'' Haku said. ''Water spirits are very found of music, we usually use it to our advantage. I am sure that you have heard of sirens and the nix'' he said seeing the shocked expression on her face realising his misstake. ''I do not mean that we all use music in a bad way Chihiro, I am sorry I should not have brought it up''. He felt stupid for bringing up spirits whom used music to lure humans to their deaths.

''No it is okay, it is just how things work here I guess'' Chihiro said. If she wanted to live here she would have to accept the world she now was in. ''Please tell me more about your life'' he begged her.

''I do not really know what else to say. My parents put me into the mental hospital when I told them about the spirit world. They thought that I was crazy''. She looked a bit sad as she said it. ''I am so sorry that you had to go through all that alone Chihiro I should have been there to protect you''. Haku was angry at himself that he had left Chihiro alone in the human world. He knew how heartless humans could be but he never thought that her own parents would be cruel to her, if only he had known.

''You can not protect me from everything Haku, I am not your responsibility'' Chihiro did not like that he only saw her as something he had to protect because of his promise to Zeniba. ''You are my responsibility Chihiro. I know that you might not believe me but you coming back here was the best thing that could ever happen to me''. He said shortly. They both had stoped eating and without even lifting a finger, all the empty plats disappeared and in it's place was a teapot and a couple of cups. He poured them a cup each.

''Now it is your turn to answer. Why did you come back to the bathhouse? I thought that you wanted to only be with your river?'' Chihiro had heard what Rin had told her before but she wanted to hear it from him.

Haku thought a while before answering; ''I had been on land and lived like a spirit free from my river for such a long time so when I returned I got a bit bored. I had all my emotions which I did not really have before when I was just a bonded spirit. When Zeniba asked me to come back to the bathhouse I thought it was a good idea. I also thought that if you ever came back, you would go to the bathhouse first so I should wait there for you'' he answered truthfully.

''If you wanted me to come back, why did you not come to find me?'' Cihiro asked. She could still not let it go. This was the question she always had thought about.

''I did one time but I could not find you. You were not with your parents. I understand now that you were at the place you call a mental hospital at that time and I am so sorry that I did not come for you''. He said he knew that it was wrong of him to not bring her back earlier.

''I also truly believed that you had forgotten about us and were happy'' It hurt him to think that she had been miserable and he had left her all alone. Chihiro could see the pain in his eyes. ''Well, You did not break your promise'' she said. Haku looked confused at her ''What do you mean Chihiro?''.

''You said that we would meet again and we have! You never said that you would come for me''. She did not want to see him sad anymore. A little smile touched his lips. ''Still I should have come back for you and now, when you came back I tried to force you to leave again''. He felt a little better from her words but he was still sad.

''Haku, we all make mistakes, but you have tried to fix it now and I am not angry at you for it'' Chihiro said catching eye contact with the dragons. ''Thank you'' he said smiling but the smile did not reach his eyes.