Thirty-Nine: Unauthorized

Al huffed weakly, holding his arm as he sat behind the counter of the prize corner, squinting in the stage where the animatronics were performing a skit for the watching children. He rolled his eyes at the music and the sounds, annoyed from it all. He leaned against the counter, holding his scraggy chin.

"Hey, you okay, Al?"

Al looked up and turned to John, who walked over holding a cola glass in his hand. "Ah, John. Yeah, I'm alright," he muttered, sighing as he stood straight again. "It just doesn't change, the whole thing."

John tilted his head, leaning against the outside of the counter where he stayed to work while Allen was stuck on the other. "What do you mean?" He looked down at his drink and then to the playful toys strung about the prize corner.

The older man shook his head and waved his hand. "This business, this job, this tiresome routine I've been doing for a month, now." He sighed gruffly and tapped his fingers against the glass surface. He looked down at the toys and adorable trinkets in the glass counter, just waiting for a small toddler to come by and pick them up with the right amount of tickets. "I know you're new here, still, but believe me, it gets terrifyingly boring."

John huffed softly and shrugged a little, sipping his cola before setting it down on the counter carefully. "Well, I'm sure you just don't enjoy the kids. Many people are like that," he mumbled, scratching his head. "It's just been three hours since the place opened and to tell you the truth, I'm surprised it's so busy." He looked to the tired man, whose eyes were squinted under wrinkles. "Say, has Mr. Afton said why the bear animatronic isn't on stage? Oh, what's his name. Freddy?"

Allen opened his eyes a bit more as he eyed the young man. He shook his head and snorted a bit, "I haven't heard much more than the 'out of order' statement he always makes when they aren't working." He looked toward the far hall, where the boss was working quietly alone in his office space. He looked to the stage, then back to John. "I hear that prissy technician stayed this morning to fix him." He shook his head, "I don't exactly believe that's what she's doing," he mumbled. He sighed weakly and scratched his hairy arms, looking away from the stage and to the plushies hanging on the back wall of the prize corner. They were all similar to their animatronic counterparts, but less attractive.

"What makes you believe that? She seemed pretty nice the last we spoke to her." He huffed and raised another eyebrow at the grouchy, old man. "I'm sure she's working as hard as she can to get this place in shape, just like us. I mean, I went to school with her, she was very—!"

"I'm tellin' you John, something about that girl makes my bones ache, and my gut turn. I'm not sure what it is, but she's hiding something!" He nodded, whispering in a low tone to the boy, "Tell you what, how about you go down to that facility and see what she's up to." He smiled crookedly, squinting as he chuckled. "I'd split some of my pay if you can catch her doing something out of the ordinary, and give it to the boss."

John grunted in disapproval, crossing his arms as he stood straight. "You're a bit old to be causing child-like trouble," he grumbled and squinted. The blonde boy shook his head. "I don't think it's a good idea to be snooping where we don't belong. After all, Afton hired her for the job, so it's practically her territory of work. I shouldn't be obligated to worry about her!"

Allen growled softly under his breath, sitting up slowly. The manager looked to his pocket, slowly pulling out a piece of paper. "Then I don't suppose you're against me giving this to Mr.Afton?"

John looked up and tilted his head, squinting in curiosity. "What is that?"

"Oh, nothing, kid, just a photo of you drinking some beer in the kitchen instead of being on duty."