Forty-Six: Curtain Call

You stared at the floor of Freddy's stage, questioning the newfound knowledge Ballora passed over from John. While that "knowledge" technically wasn't new, it was something that definitely changed your perspective on how you were going to escape the facility with the others. Even before, it was a puzzling thought, but you figured as time went on, you and the animatronics would find an easy way out of it. However, it occurred to you now more than ever that it was going to be near impossible to thrive on a clean slate if Afton continued to murder children after you left. The thought of it made you even more uneasy, thinking he might go as far as building more killer robots to do his dirty work. The idea didn't settle well on your mind, and here you were now, thinking and pondering a new solution to your escape—without leaving Afton out of the equation. Even on the surface, however, there was no easy answer to the problem.

Freddy sat on his stage, watching you worriedly as he leaned against the wall, his knees against his chest. He wasn't sure whether to ask if you were okay or leave you be. He could tell you were thinking just by the look on your face. After Ballora left back to her stage, you hadn't said a word to him or Bon-Bon, who was quiet, too. Freddy couldn't tell if you were upset or mad, or even if the thoughts had to do with him. It scared him, to say the least, but he reminded himself that you were probably just thinking about Mr. Afton. That had to be it. He whimpered softly to himself as he looked to the side, then he gently reached over to hold your shoulder. "H-Hey...is...everything alright?" He didn't know what to say; he felt jumbled up in his own head. The words he wanted to say—he could never find. Why is it always so difficult to speak to you? Even after the short time you two have spent together, he suddenly couldn't find his words. He lowered his ears, silently mocking his insecurity.

You looked up as you felt his cold hand against you, finding yourself distracted from thought as you looked to him. It took you a moment to realize how quiet you had been, leaving Freddy to sit in silence. You felt bad for it, no doubt. You smiled weakly, hoping it would calm the tense atmosphere. "Yes, I'm fine," you told him softly, though you frowned soon afterward despite your saying. The attempt to cover your own worries and shift the uncomfortable tide failed. "I-I'm just trying to figure out what to do," you told him as you held your head on your hand, resting your good arm and elbow on your knee. You sniffed after a moment, sighing, "We can't just leave—Not yet."

"Are we going to be able to leave?" Asked the rabbit, who watched the two worriedly as he whimpered.

You shook your head, gently petting the bunny's as you looked to him. "N-No, that's not it. We will leave. We just...need to be careful is all."

Freddy shuddered and looked to the side. He knew the time would come to talk about the escape plan, but he didn't expect it would be so awkward and...scary. He had pictured many times where there would be the joyful cries of being free of the dark, evil pit of Circus Baby's Pizzeria, but this was nothing compared to his dreams. He heard what Ballora said, and he, too, was worried and reluctant. He sighed shakily, and spoke after a moment, "Will he really make more of us? More...killers?" He held his arm as he looked down with concerned eyes. Killers. That's what we are for him.

"I don't know, Freddy." You gave a light shrug as you closed your eyes, finally returning your attention to him. "If he did, they won't be the same as you. Not at all." You sighed shakily, scratching your head as you looked to him. "We can change how you act by reprogramming you, but in the end, it won't matter if Afton is alive. Especially if he can just make more or do it himself."

Freddy whimpered, thinking of a more frightening and less lovely version of himself made him shudder in his shell. "What do y-you suppose we do? We...w-what can w-we do?"

You looked away, contemplating if you should even suggest the action you thought of. Even if it would work, you'd be in more danger or worse. "I-I..." you stuttered, taking a deep breath. "I think we have to kill him." You whimpered at the words as they slipped off your tongue. You never thought you'd think of something so brutal and vile, or ever say such a thing in your lifetime. "I hate to think this, but I don't believe we have any other choice."